1700s Crystal Paperweight French Compass / Help with Identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris B., Oct 19, 2020.

1. Chris B.

Chris B. New Member

2013-03-26 11.13.37.jpg 2013-03-26 11.13.00.jpg 2013-03-26 11.12.47.jpg Hello Everyone. I am new here and this is my first post so I hope I am doing this correctly.

I am hoping to get some feedback on an Item I recently aquired.

My dad purchased this from a museum that was closing down. It belonged to a known Political Figure from Quebec, Canada. He was alive 1786 - 1871.

I have no info on the piece itself other than who it belonged to.

I believe it's a Paperweight made of Crystal.

It has a miniature French Compass embedded in it (No markings but SO instead of SW which suggest it's French)

I first thought it was an Inkwell since there is also a hole on the top side but not as deep as regular inkwells...

Perhaps the hole was used as a display for something else?

Approx. 3.5" x 3.5"

Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris B.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    aaroncab and KSW like this.
  2. loruca

loruca Member

It clearly appears to be French, but is there anything at all supporting the connection with LJP (other than hear-say)? Any object related to the man would most certainly be of significant value!
    LRC

Chris B. likes this.
  3. Chris B.

Chris B. New Member

Unfortunately I have no proof of authentication but you are correct as to who it belonged to. I also have a silver bookmark that belonged to his grandson Henri Bourassa. But then again, no documentation. Those pieces were in a museum that closed down and my father had an opportunity to purchase some of those items. But can't really be proven on paper as far as I know...

Draft saved Draft deleted