Featured 1719 Fables

Discussion in 'Books' started by moreotherstuff, Mar 10, 2023.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Purchased online. The book has been rebacked, the cover set with tooled leather from the original binding. Illustrated with about 40 engravings by Claude Gillot (1673-1722). Most of the engravings are very small (I work on a laptop and the engravings are about the size of the touchpad), but they are little gems. This volume contains the first two books of I don't know how many. Some of the engravings I have seen before, some I have not.

These images are from the listing:
    1f.JPG

1fa.jpg

These engravings are in the book, but the images were downloaded from online:
    1fb.jpg

1fc.jpg

1fd.jpg

Figtree3, Owliza, Rec and 9 others like this.
  2. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I see online that the full book is 358 pages, so this is the first half. (But where will I find the second at an affordable price?)

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

First question-where'd You find the First Half at an affordable price ? Second-It's absolutely beautiful & that they reused the original binding is excellent-Congrats !
    PS-Just watched a Roman Polanski movie called The Ninth Gate,silly story,but it does feature some very strange people looking for a very rare (and diabolical) volume.Might be fun for a book aficionado.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Pelicans sure did look different back then!

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful illustrations. What a find!

Draft saved Draft deleted