17th century chair??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ben Philpot, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Ben Philpot

Ben Philpot New Member

Hey everyone! I've recently inherited a chair from my father's Widow and she believes it's a 17th century Dagobert but I cannot seem to find anything that looks remotely like it and especially not with what appears to be a suspended upholstered backrest. IMG20191013130047_compress64.jpg IMG20191013130058_compress20.jpg IMG20191013130118_compress13.jpg Any information or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

cxgirl and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The fabric is incredible!

OISE ENCHERES
    Auction house of Chantilly

Screenshot_20191015-052122_1571142151422.jpg

700 - 750 € UROS
    DAGOBERT ARMCHAIR XIXth In carved natural wood, ...
    DAGOBERT ARMCHAIR XIXth

Natural carved wood, backed by a pair of lion heads.

(Restorations of use and maintenance.

19th century

H: 105 x W: 62 x D: 64 cm

Welcome :)!

3. Ben Philpot

Ben Philpot New Member

The fabric and attention to detail is amazing! That appears to be the same chair with smaller dimensions. Thank you for your help!

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Well, you'll find as many differences as similarities. I was just looking for any with that suspended back.

Yours is unique because of that dramatically high back and the laced backrest.

@James Conrad @verybrad

5. Ben Philpot

Ben Philpot New Member

Ive just found this in the Illustrated History of Furniture, Fifth Edition and they seem similar except this is from the 14th century i_032.jpg

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No, don't think it is 17th century, possibly a 19th century revival chair. Where are you & where did father's widow get the chair?

7. Ben Philpot

Ben Philpot New Member

We are in Australia and I believe she got the chair in France but I will have to talk to her and confirm 100%. I know she was living in Malaysia and Singapore majority of her life.

8. James Conrad

A quick google brought this up

Trône_de_Dagobert.jpg
    Throne of Dagobert, Merovingian Dynasty Europe, 629-634

"In medieval Europe, royal thrones and other ornately decorated seats were symbols of power and authority. Religious officials commonly used X-frame seats known as faldstools, derived from the Roman curule seats. This elaborately detailed seat belonged to the Merovingian King Dagobert I. “Four protomes of panthers form the feet and legs; the armrests consist of two carved and perforated panels, decorated with rosettes (bottom) and plant motifs (upper register)” (wdl.org). But unlike the Greek klismos chair, medieval furniture reflected the prevailing Christian emphasis to asceticism and the virtues of discomfort rather than ergonomics."

9. James Conrad

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like a curule Renaissance Revival chair ca. 1890-1900.

11. James Conrad

Agrees, it is almost certainly a revival piece.

12. James Conrad

"Curule" chairs have been around since the times of the Roman Empire and most european countries have their own version but one thing they usually share is an X stretcher/frame.

Curule_Stool_MET_DP220468.jpg
    "Although the ancient Egyptians and Greeks used stools with an X-frame of diagonal cross braces, it was the ancient Romans who elevated it to the decorative heights that made it popular all the way into the present day. For centuries, the curule chair was reserved for use by royalty, dignitaries and other important political and religious officials."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  13. James Conrad

English example

18670c61df467d5bf1c989672b0d296d.jpg
    Winchester Cathedral: The chair that Mary Tudor used when she married Philip of Spain at The Cathedral in 1554.

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late to the party but agree that this is a 19th century revival piece. Although curule is the technical term, you often see these just called a Roman chair. If you search Roman chair, you will get all kinds of example of exercise equipment. Search antique Roman chair to clarify results.

15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Curule" chairs have been around since the times of the Roman Empire and most european countries have their own version but one thing they usually share is an X stretcher/frame."

Yep!

I don't know if it's my back or what, but I've always found these chairs to be amazingly uncomfortable.

James Conrad likes this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    Dagobert was brought in by the French to stress the age; probably in the 19th c. where everywhere on the continent there was Historicisme.
    what makes me a bit skeptical about its age are the places the lady lived.
    these Savonarola chairs were wide-spread and made over and over again.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Fid,
    Thanks for calling them Savonarola. I was trying to remember that name.
    greg

Fid likes this.
  18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The upholstery fabric reproduces scenes from 14th century manuscripts, which I think would support a 19th century revival date. The fabric clearly does not date from the 14th century, and I don't think it was popular to reproduce medieval styles earlier than the 19th century.
    upload_2019-10-15_11-41-57.jpeg
    Illumination 82v from the Codex Manesse (1300-1340), Heidelberg University Library

It also looks like a jacquard woven fabric, which would date to it early 19th century at the earliest (assuming the upholstery is original to the chair).

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

there is certainly a similarity, but those figures were generic to a certain extent. collected in Zurich they are from the Upper Rhine school of painting. so a French connection is possible besides a "German" and Swiss connection.

Draft saved Draft deleted