Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Art
>
1812 Ink Drawing of Bristol Cathedral
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Lithographer, post: 10423336, member: 13308"]I purchased this drawing over the weekend in an antique shop. It appears to be an ink drawing done on a sketchbook page. The viewable image is 9 X 7. I looked at some old engravings and I think I have correctly identified the subject as Bristol Cathedral. I was wondering what people think? The date is written in the form we were taught in the states, which makes me wonder if the artist was from here. Do you think there is a possibility that there is more writing under the mat? I see a stray mark in the lower left corner, but it appears to be part of the drawing. I did look at sketchbook examples on the net from artists like JMW Turner, Joshua Reynolds and John Constable, it didn't seem like people signed their sketchbook drawings. What is the likelihood that this was done by a documented artist, is the skill level up to par? Any comments appreciated, as always.</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]524568[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]524569[/ATTACH] </p><p>[ATTACH=full]524570[/ATTACH]</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]524571[/ATTACH] </p><p>[ATTACH=full]524572[/ATTACH]</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]524573[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]524574[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Lithographer, post: 10423336, member: 13308"]I purchased this drawing over the weekend in an antique shop. It appears to be an ink drawing done on a sketchbook page. The viewable image is 9 X 7. I looked at some old engravings and I think I have correctly identified the subject as Bristol Cathedral. I was wondering what people think? The date is written in the form we were taught in the states, which makes me wonder if the artist was from here. Do you think there is a possibility that there is more writing under the mat? I see a stray mark in the lower left corner, but it appears to be part of the drawing. I did look at sketchbook examples on the net from artists like JMW Turner, Joshua Reynolds and John Constable, it didn't seem like people signed their sketchbook drawings. What is the likelihood that this was done by a documented artist, is the skill level up to par? Any comments appreciated, as always. [ATTACH=full]524568[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]524569[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]524570[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]524571[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]524572[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]524573[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]524574[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Art
>
1812 Ink Drawing of Bristol Cathedral
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...