Featured 1825 Angel Cameo with anchor

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, May 23, 2024.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Came across this lovely cameo, I am undecided whether to buy it or not. There is an year inscribed in the back of the cameo 1825. I could not see a signature, there are some non-cursive scribbling.
    The frame is not hallmarked, but tests 15 carat gold. The weight is 27 grams, and the price is on the back, the dealer wants £870. 4B5C139A-9DEA-429A-B6B7-B934269AD730.jpeg A8184059-DE63-4BAC-8043-C30B91CC411F.jpeg .
    @Bronwen and @PepperAnna what are your thoughts? what is the depiction representing?
    next to the Angel there is an anchor, what does it mean? And also a star above the head, does that have any connotation?
    Is it possible to be that old? The dealer told me the box is original to the cameo.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

It's the Angel of Hope
    [​IMG]
    https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01462a.htm
    "The anchor, because of the great importance in navigation, was regarded in ancient times as a symbol of safety. The Christians, therefore, in adopting the anchor as a symbol of hope in future existence, merely gave a new and higher signification to a familiar emblem."

Figtree3, aaroncab, komokwa and 9 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is beautiful, love the setting/frame too.
    The asking price seems steep to me, but the ladies who buy cameos more regularly are better judges of that than I am. So let's wait for the others.
    Yes, it is.:)

mirana, johnnycb09, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I like the setting as well. Kind of modern, unusual looking. You say at "1825" is inscribed at the back, can we see that in the photograph?

First thought is that it is priced too high, but if not for resale, but for a collection, honestly you will never see another in this exact setting.

Wait for others for value estimate.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There are so many variants & the image is so popular, this is one of the first subjects I put up:

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/profiles-1/allegorical/anchor-of-hope

The Royal Academy estimates the time the Roscoe monument was made as 1840, so the cameo is not from 1825.

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/work-of-art/hope-monument-to-edward-and-margaret-roscoe

See also, & note the paragraph concerning when the design was published, which is how the world of cameo engravers would have become acquainted with a relief in Liverpool:

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art...or-the-monument-to-edward-and-margaret-roscoe

How was the metal assayed? In my experience this tubular construction is usually brass, sometimes gilt.

It's a finely executed rendering of a really appealing subject. If the sticker price is heavily based on the metal fineness, I would want more assurance on this point. The question of whether you want it to add to your collection or for resale is key.

Figtree3, mirana, bercrystal and 9 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That frame style and back look to me to be mid to late nineteenth.

I have seen some tube styles which were gold, indeed I’ve a hallmarked brooch. But yes, often gilded brass.

7. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, really interesting subject, one that I can relate to.
    I would like to add it to my collection, it has something special that caught my interest.
    The year 1825 is clearly scratched at the back, but to me it does not look that old. I presume someone could have scratched it, not necessarily meaning the year it was carved. Is this a possibility?
    The metal was tested by the dealer, there is no other evidence.
    I have bought from this dealer lots of unique items in the past, especially silver. I consider him to be reliable and trustworthy.
    I need to sit with myself and ask if this is something I really want for my collection.
    Thank you all for the advise and the information, I really appreciate it.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s lovely, Simona, but I do think it’s overpriced.

9. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

A very interesting discussion and a lovely piece of jewellery. How close is ca? Plus/minus???

Simona Buhus, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

The number 1825 is scratched into the back. Numbers can be dealers' inventory numbers, pawnbrokers' numbers, repair shop numbers... In the big cameo thread we have seen pieces numbered by the cameist.

11. Bronwen

Are you asking about the date of the monument? William Roscoe died in 1831. It takes some years to get together the design, the permissions, the funding and the execution, so 1840 is probably pretty close.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

buy it on the written understanding that when u test it ...it's 14 K or higher !!

& that box looks too highly domed to be made for that brooch.... imo

Figtree3 and Simona Buhus like this.
  13. Bronwen

Getting my Roscoes muddled. William was the father of Edward, father-in-law of Margaret. She died in 1840.

The important date is when Italian cameo cutters would have seen the design, sometime after the 1861 publication.

Figtree3, mirana, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  14. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Active Member

That is GORGEOUS.

Simona Buhus and Bronwen like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

so agree

komokwa, Bronwen and Simona Buhus like this.
  16. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Sorry that I am late to the party. I think it is a beautiful cameo, but agree that it is overpriced. I also agree that it is later than 1825. Did you make a decision whether to purchase or not?

17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Agreed it is much higher than I would pay but it's still a beautiful, well-rendered image. I would add it to my collection too for the skill of the carver, if the price was right.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  18. Simona Buhus

Thank you for your message, delighted to read all comments ❤️
    I have decided not to go ahead with the purchase, however I did buy few other pieces, no photos yet, but will share soon.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Draft saved Draft deleted