1848 Landseer Print, C.G. Lewis, Engraver

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Judy Ferrell, May 16, 2024.

1. Judy Ferrell

Judy Ferrell New Member

Greetings, and thank you for allowing me to join!

I was gifted an "antique" print a few decades ago. The frame recently needed repair and in the disassembly process, I noticed text beneath the image. A Google search produced a record at the British Museum, (https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/P_1852-0214-395). The only difference is the blind stamp in the left corner - mine reads "FDN".

It's a large print, 28" x 37" and despite framing with preservation board, the text is becoming difficult to read. I was going to take this piece to consignment, but if it has any historical significance, I would love to find it a better home. I sent a note to the British Museum but I'm not sure of next steps.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

mmarco102 likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Judy. The staff of the British Museum are lovely about getting back to you, although it can take several weeks. What did you ask them? Note they say the scene is "after" not "by" Landseer. Things that were produced in multiples generally hold less interest for scholars & collectors than things that are unique, unless the mass produced item is last of its kind.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Judy Ferrell

Judy Ferrell New Member

Thank you, Bronwen. I asked the Museum if the print had any significance. Their catalog lists "image not available", so they may be interested in this copy. I read in an earlier thread that the blind stamp meant the piece was a proof. And yes, I realize this is not the work of Landseer, it's the work of the engraver. I'm glad I did a little sleuthing before I dropped it off at consignment. Thank you for your reply.

Bronwen and kentworld like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe "image not available" does not mean that the Museum does not have the print. It means that it has not been photographed and made available on their website.

It appears to have been a very popular image, reproduced by many printmakers over the years. The original painting by Landseer is held by the Tate Museum.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Roaring20s like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suspect the print you have is not the same as that in the museum. Their description says "mixed method". That suggests to me an intaglio print. Yours appears to be a photo reproduction of some sort, but a nice tight close-up could change my mind.

C.G. Lewis could be Charles George Lewis (1808-1880). He did steel engravings after Landseer. I don't see this one online, but these days I easily miss things.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    Bronwen likes this.
  7. Judy Ferrell

Judy Ferrell New Member

Thank you for the information. I am a graphic designer and feel certain this is not photographic paper. When the print is flat, I can see the texture from the ink. Here are two close-up images, one is the engraver's credit (I darkened this image for readability), the donkey head is unaltered. I appreciate your time and interest.

Attached Files:

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

From the detail, it does look like an intaglio print, so I'd guess a steel plate engraving by Charles George Lewis. Different intaglio techniques (e.g engraving, etching, aquatint, etc) were frequently combined in the production of plates, which is what I imagine the museum means by "mixed method".

kentworld and Bronwen like this.
  9. Judy Ferrell

Judy Ferrell New Member

Thank you so much. I will continue my sleuthing and decide it's fate!

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Nice farrier and horse photo.

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted