1850 hand painted charger plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Should anyone be able to identify the origin of the plate? I believe the c mark on the back is the artist signature, is it a Rococco style? I can’t make out any impression marks or other marks on the rim

Attached Files:

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, please post your photographs as Full Image rather than Thumbnail in the future so they're easier for everyone to see. It is not Rococo in style. The central image is based on an 1834 painting 'Suspense' by Edward Landseer. The original is in the V&A. How do you now your plate dates to 1850? What does the sticker say?

Debora

2006AM2419.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  4. I can’t quite make it all out but it’s stating 1852 I believe

Attached Files:

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Full Image please. The sticker reads "Hand Painted & Signed" followed by "Circa 1850" and then "$55.00." The artist's signature can be found under the dog above the decorative border.

Debora

IMG_6361.png

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like F. Steadman?

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted