Featured 1885 oil painting found

Discussion in 'Art' started by IrishMike, Jun 2, 2016.

1. IrishMike

IrishMike New Member

Found in old barn. It's about 14x9. Frame states 1883/1885. Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scoutshouse, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I like it! Very pleasant scene. Is it badly crazed, or is that just the photograph, please? I'd love to see it after a good cleaning (assuming it's not crazed... it couldn't withstand most methods, other than an expert restoration, maybe). No signature anywhere? As far as dating, I can't really guess. It's a popular impressionist sort of style that has been around a long time, still popular. Subject matter... pretty, sentimental sort of scene that couold be attractive to traditional decorators. Maybe the furniture/frame brainiacs here can tell us more about age and origin. There are people here who can date patents, too. I'll see what I can find out about that company.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's when the hardware was patented , not when the painting was painted.....or at least not for sure....

Also......never seen that type of screw frame closure before......NEAT !!!! :):)

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Found this... you might want to look into it... either a red herring or a good lead!
    The O'Hara's seems to be the same as yours... similar addresses... not sure what to make of the rest.

"Henry B. Jones signed oil on canvas, "Banks of Chaloon", [title on exhibition label, verso, [Harmon Awards in Fine Arts and Exhibition of Fine Arts, 1929 Exhibition label verso, indicating artist's address: "2418 Oxford St, Phila., PA"; printed exhibition entry number label, verso: "35"; framer's label on stretcher, verso: "O' Hara's Art Shop / Gifts / Picture Frames /1222 Columbia Ave, Phila., PA"]. 30"h x 24"w=image, 35 1/2" x 29 1/2"w=frame."

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8711038_henry-b-jones-oil-on-canvas

8711038_1_l.jpg

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Yes, indeed Professor... I should have added that!

6. IrishMike

IrishMike New Member

Wow thanks a ton! What is "crazed"?

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

8. IrishMike

IrishMike New Member

Yeh it is crackled on top part

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think if O'Hara's made those 2 canvases, it's the only thing they have in common. Crackle in painting is called craquelure.

I like Mike's painting, but think it is amateur.

scoutshouse, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I am speaking only of the frame/framing when I say . . .

I think the frame on IrishMike's painting may be an even earlier date for the frame/framer than the "O'Hara's Art Shop / Gifts / Picture Frames" reference and that is for two reasons: first, in IrishMike's label the word "Manufactory" stands out to me as an "old(er)" word and second, the label didn't feel the need to use the "state" name or abbreviation after the word "Philadelphia." ;)

scoutshouse and cxgirl like this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

You could always contact the current O'Hara, and see what they have to say. It's just kinda wild that they both are so close on Columbia Ave. Then again, I am a typical superstitious Mexican!

OOOOOH! New word. Thanks, MOS!
    craquelure

13. IrishMike

IrishMike New Member

Lol! I'll try contacting them and maybe the Philly art museum. I'll post when/if I learn anything.

Thanks again to all!

scoutshouse and cxgirl like this.
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Good luck!

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted