Featured 1894 Pairpoint silver plate tilt water pitcher

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Sep 22, 2022.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I picked this up at the GW a few weeks back. I thought it was neat & I thought I could sell it for more than the $9.72 I had to pay. :p:p

Unfortunately, the matching goblets were nowhere to be found even when I went back the next day. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

I started to post this in the silver section but obviously I know who made it & when it was made but I was hoping someone could help me with the dedication on the lid. So I decided to post it in this section so that maybe more would see it here than would see it in the silver section.

I tried to do a little searching for the name on the lid but did not get very far at all. I was hoping maybe someone with some genealogy experience would be willing to do a little sleuthing for me. I did find a company that was owned by a family with the last name of Millard but nothing else really lined up. :(:(

I do have a couple of general questions about this piece though. Would I be correct in calling this Aesthetic Period? Also, what do the marks in the bottom picture refer to?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Very interesting looking piece Peggy, bargain I'd say

Would look magnificent cleaned right up

Ooooooo I'd love to clean that up !!

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I am pea green with envy, Peggy!! :D Yes, I would call it Aesthetic.

What is shown in the last picture would be a mystery to everyone except an owner, I'm afraid.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

dealers marks...

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  5. bercrystal

I would love to send it to you for cleaning but since the piece weighs almost 9 pounds all by itself I am afraid that would likely gobble up likely any profits entirely. ;) :playful::playful: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I did clean the area around the marks & the dedication with some Simichrome just to make my life easier when it came to taking the photographs but that is about all my hands would take. :(:(

6. bercrystal

I really wish I could have found the goblets. :(:(:banghead:

The marks look like they were etched & are a little to the left of the Pairpoint mark. I did not even see them until I was taking the photos. :confused::confused::confused:

I was pretty sure of the Aesthetic tag given the design & the presentation date but wanted to make sure.

Any chance you could do a little sleuthing on Ancestry for Mr. & Mrs. O.F. Millard? It was found here in SC but God only knows where it was originally purchased & presented. :p:rolleyes:

kyratango likes this.
  7. bercrystal

I don't think a dealer would etch stuff they are trying to sell but who knows? :confused::confused:

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I DID remove any 'color' tint, and try to lighten that dark area.....there is 'stuff' there, but other than the first mark to the left, which looks something like a 'harp' of sorts to ME with a capital T to the left of it, I didn't recognize anything else.....maybe a "little" more lightening with Simichrome might reveal more???? It's VERY COOL.....assuming the QUAD PLATE might add to the weight!!!!:happy::happy:

1115911876-A-gigapixel-low_res-scale-3_00x.jpg

bercrystal likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Quadruple Plate is a bit of a misnomer since the plating really isn't any thicker than the usual amount marked A1. Doesn't add anything significant to the weight. What is significant is the thickness of the base metal.

Aquitaine, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

As @Bakersgma sez...a little extra plate will not affect the weight of that monster !!!

my folks had one just like it......daughter has it now......the goblets were just as fancy as the pot..

Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  11. bercrystal

@Aquitaine - I appreciate you playing with the photo but there aren't any other marks on the pitcher. It is just years of tarnish buildup that sometimes can look like an image. Kind of like when clouds form what appears to be a familiar object. :happy::happy:

The Pairpoint mark tells you all you need to know about who made this piece. :happy:

kyratango, Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  12. bercrystal

Here is a photo of one from the Brooklyn Museum all polished up & complete with its 2 goblets. :happy::happy:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted