Featured 1911 Espar Lair Watkins Landscape Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this painting at a local consignment shop about 4-5 years ago. It was very reasonable considering it appears to have been to a conservator for cleaning, varnishing and reframing. I think I would have chosen a less glossy varnish. I have been able to find 1 other painting by her and some other biographical information. I think it is kind of cool that she painted this when she was 18-19 and that she could have studied with Birger Sandzen. The information on back is interesting, I did not run across the part about Bethany college anywhere on the net. The other stuff you could easily put together using genealogy resources. It would be nice to find out if she continued to paint throughout her life. The painting looks like it might have been at a gallery, there was a 4 digit number penciled in the upper left corner on the back, no label though. I kind of wonder if someone was trying the Birger Sandzen angle to boost the value. IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg IMG_1396.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Nice use of color.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It is a lovely painting but I did think immediately someone might have cleaned it a little TOO much.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would benefit from the original frame.

Debora

5. Lithographer

Agreed.

6. Lithographer

I think you are right, I have a period frame that would work.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Simple, simple. Light wood.

Debora

8. Lithographer

Thanks, different than what I had pictured. I researched mission/craftsman/prairie style frames, better fit than what I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted