Featured 1922: The Discovery of Tutankhamun, in color

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluumz, Aug 26, 2019.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Fabulous colorized photos, just thought I'd share.

So 2022 will be the 100th anniversary of the discovery... start stocking up on Egyptian-themed items in anticipation of a big celebration and a revived "Egyptian Revival" trend!

I've been watching the 2016 "Tutankhamun" historical drama on BritBox with Max Irons as Howard Carter and it's spurred a strong desire to visit Egypt someday. Anyone been?

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful!
    I still have some Egyptian Revival jewellery. Just hope we will be selling again by then.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I went when I was eleven years old.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

A) was in Egypt when I was a VERY young child - on the way home from Europe with my folks - I remember nearly nothing but the outlandish outfits my Mother and Nanny wore.............

B) It I hope it does not insult or offend, but when looking at photos of the tomb as discovered I could never help thinking that it looked like someone hitched up an ox cart and drove around the countryside looking for donations to "fill up the space" - sort of like gathering stuff for a church rummage sale..................all second best and well worn household goods...................

BMRT, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Would love to hear your memories of the visit. :)

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Apparently, the tomb was not actually "intact" when it was found in 1922:

"Even at the outset, Carter and his financier, Lord Carnarvon, knew that the tomb had been compromised, because of a re-plastered and sealed hole in the outer doorway. Furthermore, once they had entered the tomb, the disorganized state of the material, the damage sustained by several objects and the discernible lack of solid metalwork, bedding, glass, oils and unguents all suggested that the tomb had been robbed during antiquity."

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/tutrobbery.htm

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Pictures are fascinating!! I do have to keep remembering the earlier raids when looking at the disarray...but LOOK at those animals, and the little chair, and the tomb is gold?!

(However, I must comment on Lord Canarvon's, or rather Howard's Carter's, taste in upholstery material. I first went to England in 1971, and while there I bought enough English Chintz to cover the occasional pillows on my sofa (camelback, huge!). Lord C. is reclining on the very same pattern! The sofa was covered with black and white matress ticking, and the pillows looked smashing! ) :)

And doesn't Lord Carnarvon just look as if Agatha Christie wrote him!

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I was going to go with my Dad in early 2002 on a day trip but they retired Concorde.
    I might do a Nile cruise when/if I retire:cool:

Christmasjoy and bluumz like this.
  9. daveydempsey

I recently watched a Channel 5 documentary with Bettany Hughes about King Tut.
    In Egypt they are opening a new museum and were organising the exhibits, it showed items never shown before, one of 5 beds which is believed he actually used and some simple toys from his childhood, for use in the afterlife.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ditto. :)

Christmasjoy and daveydempsey like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for the link, @bluumz . I enjoyed the pictures.

12. Mansons2005

I have trouble watching anything with Bettany Huge, I mean Huges..............I am never quite sure what they are highlighting...............the wardrobe department seems to be falling out, er, down on the proper clothing. The documentary in which she highlights 7 of the world's most wondrous Buddhas was more than revealing............. even with her wearing a 6 foot scarf...............

daveydempsey likes this.
  13. daveydempsey

All these fantastic artifacts, pictures, writings, bones , skeletons, buildings.

In the Valley of the Kings stuff is turning up daily and we are learning more all the time.

Apart from the odd explorer getting lung infections not many people have died in this quest.

Elsewhere,

Approximately 1340 years later on the other side of the river, allegedly a blue eyed blond African guy was born to a Virgin.
    It seems half the world reveres him yet there is not a single shred of physical evidence that he ever existed.

Apart from a few authorless books there is absolutely nothing, yet millions upon millions of people have died and are still dying to this day in the belief that he is going to save them.

I know who my money's on.:rolleyes::cool:

popsycat, BoudiccaJones and bluumz like this.
  14. daveydempsey

Argh,
    You are watching the wobbly bits:D
    Turn the picture off and listen to the sound.:rolleyes::cool::cool::hilarious::hilarious:

Mansons2005 likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Asian guy.;)

Virgin births are a common theme in Asian mythology and legend. The first mention we know of was in the Gilgamesh epic, over 4000 yrs ago.
    If you wanted to have any credibility as an Asian leader, there had to be a liaison between a virgin and a God somewhere in your ancestral line, preferably involving your own mother of course.
    According to legend, the dynasty of my Indonesian ancestors also started with a virgin birth. We have never fully recovered.:wacky:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    all_fakes, bluumz, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  16. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Been twice. Once the upper Nile, then Cairo. Loved it.

bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

The items in the museum, the old one, are amazing. We were in awe at the condition and variety of items so old. Did a Nile cruise years ago. Loved it. Always wanted to walk in the valley of the kings and fulfilled that dream.

bluumz, Any Jewelry and daveydempsey like this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Sailed thru Suez Canal twice in 1979 to get to/from Persian Gulf Deployment (US Navy.). Our destroyer’s job for 6 mos. was to provide protection for the lightly-armed USS Lasalle, the flagship of Commander, Middle-East Force. The things that happened on that cruise could easily fill a book, and the average person would think it was a novel, because things like that don’t really happen, do they?

Any Jewelry, Mansons2005 and bluumz like this.
  19. Mansons2005

I find most of life is like that..............at least my life. Which is why I have spent 3/4 of a century avoiding "average people".

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Indeed, MAD just published an article with a quartzite sculpture that bore the naturalistic features of Tutankhamen that sold this summer in London.
    It caused quite a big stink as Egypt protested the sale to the British authorities, UNESCO and Interpol, all in vain, it sold for 5.9 million.
    https://www.maineantiquedigest.com/stories/letter-from-london-september-2019/7609

london0919-2.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted