Featured 1929 Girls basketball team photo

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Gatortail, May 23, 2016.

1. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

Thought this was cool.

Have no idea of what school. Any thoughts? 1464027373341.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like the initials on their jerseys might be OCC -- so, maybe a college?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

If a college, here are a few candidates, note that only one, Olney, **might** be a candidate only because I couldn't find the date it was established. It is part of the Illinois Eastern Community Colleges whatever. I suspect the college of your pic was probably a small women's college and has been absorbed into a bigger institution???

Oakland Community College founded 1964
    Orange Coast College founded 1947
    Ozark Christian College established 1942
    Ocean County College establshed 1969
    Onondaga Community College established 1961
    Olney Central College

--- Susan

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Could there be a chance that a college changed its name and is no longer OCC? (Wasn't sure if you checked that already... I know you are very thorough in your research.)

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Sort of, but not sure how to do a reliable search on a college no longer in operation other than by a date/timeframe. I ran all sorts of searches for a 1920s college using such search words as 1920s OCC, 1920s OC College, OC Women's College, OCC institute, OC Club, OCC Normal School, etc... I finally gave up and said "I suspect the college of your pic was probably a small women's college and has been absorbed into a bigger institution???"

Are we absolutely sure that the 3rd letter is a "C?" Also is this definitely a USA pic as opposed to a Canadian, Great Britain, etc...? I came up with such things as an OCC school in Romania/Bulgaria, and a several Canoe Clubs like the Outriggers Canoe Club in Hawaii that was founded in 1908!! Like you, Fig, I still think it is a college of some sort.

--- Susan

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

I sometimes wonder whether we can be absolutely sure of anything. :)

On the girl second from left I was comparing the two letters and it looks to me as if the second and third letters are the same. That's what I was going by... but of course could be incorrect.

7. Figtree3

Draft saved Draft deleted