Featured 1929 Signed Photograph Balding Man Help Identifying Automotive Magnet?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by George Chaney, Mar 11, 2021.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

So I am looking for some assistance with a 1929 signed photograph of a balding moderately heavy man. I am struggling to make out the name, but I think it is along the lines of H. Everly or some such. This was in an estate sale that had two other photographs which I have included as part of this grouping for identification. Auctioneer will not disclose the family name...haha...probably mad they threw these in a junk lot....

The first photograph is of William - Billy - Crapo Durant - Automotive Legend. Signed was probably to the same guy.
    The second photograph is of iconic John North Willys - of the Willy Jeep Fame.

This balding man photo is personalized to Buck which I assume is short for the last name used in the Willys photo. I was starting to wonder if maybe the guy is from the film industry, but I am simply at a loss. It would probably help to know who the buck character is.

It would seem this W J Buckson or Bucken or something like that was someone of import or who knew some very powerful men. Love some help with the identifying of the photo and if you are as curious as I am, the guy who would know all three of these men.
    20210311_142039.jpg

20210311_142044.jpg

My PI skills have hit a dead end.

Durant;
    20201222_142904.jpg

Willys
    20201222_131530.jpg

FYI Wife is dragging me to the mountains tonight so we are headed out for the weekend at 5pm - lucky me :)

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm confused as to what photograph is which but... Are you sure that's not "Ruck?" As in W.S. Rucker?

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Where was the estate sale?

Debora

4. George Chaney

Hi Debora,

The first two photos are the reference photos. The additional 2 signed photographs were with the grouping I purchased and so felt it was important for relevance to the subject photo. There is nothing I am certain of as it relates to who the named guy is (recipient of the signed photograph). I am only deducing from the these coming from the same estate in the same grouping from the same time period that they are all related to the same recipient.

As far as where...well...that would not be good of me to give away one of my better sources of finds ....lol I've picked up some crazy nice deals out of this particular auctioneers estate sales. Well worth the drive time...lol... heck, I bought a revolutionary war cane for $15.00 from this auctioneer so...lets just say somewhere in beautiful North Carolina ;)

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I haven't figured out who is in the mystery photo, but the inscription to "Ruck," "Buck," or "Zuck" appears to be written by a different person than the one who wrote the signature on the photo. That seems a bit odd, but not unheard of, I imagine.

sabre123 likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If the same person wrote the personalized note that signed it, the last letter of the last name doesn't look like the same "y" as in "my," so that could rule out Everly.

Almost looks like a dot of an "i" above the second letter of last name.

Danijela Pope and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was experimenting with options related to that, but no luck...

George Chaney and sabre123 like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Maybe the first letter of the last name is "S" and it's not the same person who wrote the personalized note, hence the different "y" Could be Surby.

George Chaney and Figtree3 like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Buck....

George Chaney and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

11. George Chaney

Yeah, I don't hold on to anything. When I don't have a price, or can't find one, I'll just stick a number on it with a best offer. Sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't. Hence, the two referenced photos being on ebay for sale :)

12. George Chaney

Love to know what the one sold for on worthpoint if someone has an account ;)

13. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

When buying, I only pay attention to actual Auctions and Buy It Now. That's just my personal preference. I never look twice at an auction or listing with the high price / best offer tactic. It puts me, the buyer, in the position to do the sellers work. For me, it's either an good deal or it's not.

Here, when I search, there is a level of fun in being a detective and educating one's self. Developing knowledge of various items, and in the methods used to search.

I'm new here and it's a great place to ask the tough questions. I have asked about many of my mysteries. Many remain a mystery, and some that I searched and searched had been answered so quickly here - my head spun.

James

George Chaney and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Danijela Pope

Danijela Pope Vintage Antique Addict

It sold for $34.77 back in 2011

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted