Featured 1930's Colonial Fountian Scene in Action Table Lamp Questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jul 21, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I discovered this interesting table lamp that consists of a metal outer plate with two figures, two pieces of glass with difference scenes with a space in between and light in the back surrounded by a crimped metal screen. It is stamped Copyright 1931 by Scene in Action Co. I have several questions:
    1. I guess it is supposed to show an action scene with the fountain. How is it supposed to work? I show pictures with the light, which is amber, on and off. I don't see any change.
    2. Is it missing a part? @Kronos answered this.
    3. There is some missing paint of the back glass scene. Is there a special paint for glass?
    4. How should I clean the metal face plate?
    5. It the metal face plate pewter?
    Any help would be appreciated. I think it is neat and I would like to display it. IMG_3407.jpg IMG_3406.jpg IMG_3394.jpg IMG_3392.jpg IMG_3389.jpg IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3387.jpg IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3393.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

@Kronos Thank you. I found the part!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great light, glad you found the part:)

anundverkaufen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

6. KikoBlueEyes

7. KikoBlueEyes

Apparently the heat of the bulb makes the cylindrical piece spin. Can't wait to see it in motion.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yes, they are very cool, I've got a couple of motion lights, one similar to yours and a motion clock

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Great I might be asking you some questions, then, when I get the replacement piece if that's okay.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes, Sorry, it took me a bit to find my book, your lamp is shown in Collector's guide to motion lamps by Sam & Anna Samuelian, page 22
    I've used these folks before to get parts I couldn't find and they have helped with questions:) I can't see where the paint is missing on yours, maybe they could help with type of paint used. For me, unless it was a large space that is noticeable, I probably wouldn't bother with it.
    http://www.motionlamp.com/referencemotionlamps.asp

DSCF6361.jpg

DSCF6362.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. KikoBlueEyes

You're a doll for looking this up for me! Just the place to get the spinner! I need to fill in some missing paint on the glass, and they sell a repainted glass piece, so maybe they can point me to the right blue paint to do that. I am completely amazed that they are worth so much. I paid $40 for mine, which was wedged up in a corner of a shelf behind some other things. Did you have to clean yours? I want to be careful not to damage the finish which I read is lacquer. Mine sat around unloved for a while and needs to be spiffed up.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

@kyratango I know this is not jewelry (the size was an indicator) but since you are the esteemed founder of kyratisations, do you have any advice for cleaning old enamel paint?

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

"since you are the esteemed founder of kyratisations":joyful::kiss:
    If it is on the glass plaque, a slightly damped with soapy water cotton pad should do the job without removing the paint if you rub very carefully:)

15. KikoBlueEyes

I meant the metal surround. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

kyratango and judy like this.
  16. kyratango

Hum, still not very clear:joyful:
    I don't see enamel, but kind of pewter metal:cyclops: If it is, brush to get rid of dust, eventually same damp cotton rub and dry:)
    Is there paint staining by places?
    If yes, aceton on Qtips!
    Once clean, a little wax rub!;):)

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

@kyratango
    Kyra
    In one post it is described as cast white metal, finished with a copper-toned lacquer. I couldn't find the one that called the coating enamel. would the above still be valid? I think it is only dirty not paint stained.

I don't know what this video says except French lovers

sabre123, BaseballGames and kyratango like this.
  18. kyratango

Nice vid! It says 1931 date:)
    If the metal is coated/painted with a pewter effect stuff, the damp cotton is safe, if no sign of peeling, even a soft bristle brush with soapy water could be used (I love risk;)...)

Jivvy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

I thought you would like the video. Thanks for the info. I would like to clean it while I am waiting for the missing part.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted