Featured 1930s Robert Johnson Painting - Which R Johnson do I have?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 10, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store & bought it not because I loved it but because when I googled the name I saw Robert Johnson was a known listed artist.
    But when I got home and looked - there are a lot of Robert Johnson artists!
    This one was from same period, but signature is very different: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robert-Joh...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Can anyone tell me about the artist on my old painting?
    Thank you
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ROBERT JOHNSON 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ROBERT JOHNSON 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ROBERT JOHNSON 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ROBERT JOHNSON 4BAA.jpg

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Google maps says 963 Springfield Rd, Darby CT is a commercial building. 963 Springfield Rd, Darby PA is a house.

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's Derby, CT, isn't it? The house in Darby, Pennsylvania is rather a poor one.

Debora

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. journeymagazine

I saw those - the signatures are much more... slanted?

KingofThings, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looked at several Robt. Johnson artists and was unable to come up with a match. I think this rather nice and worthy of more research.

KingofThings, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying this is a beautiful painting. The cracking of the paint, tone of the back of the canvas, and darkness of the wood all line up with the supposed age of the piece.

A couple observations, most of the signatures of the artist seem to have his full first name. The signature looks different compared to his other identified works. I also don’t see other works where he lists the year of the painting.

Possible explanation: It’s still entirely possible the work is from him; perhaps someone that owned the artwork signed it years later to identify him. It’s always a possibility that someone painted it in his style, but given that he is not a super well known artist, why spend the time to do that? If I were in your shoes, I would research which art galleries have successfully taken his work to auction. I would contact directly and ask for an auction estimate. You might just “back in” to a confirmation of authenticity at no cost.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. journeymagazine

Great idea, thank you!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You might want to start by calling the Darby library and ask the reference librarian to look up the Johnson family listing at that address in the 1931 telephone directory. That may give you other information such as profession of head of household and names of family members.

Debora

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That could be Mt. Baker in N Western Washington state.

Draft saved Draft deleted