Featured 1930s Scrappy

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Vernon216, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Vernon216

Vernon216 Member

I'm starting to collect 1930s Scrappy memorabilia. This all started when I purchased a couple items for my Three Stooges collection that also pictured Scrappy. Turns out the Scrappy cartoons and the Three Stooges films were distributed by the same Columbia Pictures Department, Screen Gems. I have plenty to learn about this cartoon character and what memorabilia was available in the 1930s.
    Here's my most recent acquisition.
    1936 Pillsbury's Farina Scrappy Puppet Theatre advertisement poster and the theatre itself. FB_IMG_1639868668132.jpg

Born2it, dude, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for sharing -- I had never heard of Scrappy. Looks like he was around for 10 years. That seems like a collecting "sweet spot" to me. He wasn't around such a long time that there would be too much to collect, and not such a short time that it would be impossible to find items related to him.

By the way, I looked to see if there were any figurines of Scrappy, and found some for sale on eBay. There are also figurines of Scrappy Do, though (from the unrelated Scooby Do series).

dude and judy like this.
  4. Vernon216

Vernon216 Member

Last night I exchanged emails back and forth with someone from the website link below. Sent them pictures of some of my collection.
    My knowledge of Scrappy started in the 1990s when I purchase something called a Excel Jolly Theatre. It's a projector and the box has an image of the 3 Stooges, Scrappy and other characters.
    https://www.scrappyland.com/blog/2012/09/09/perhaps-the-handsomest-doll-ever/

dude, moreotherstuff and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Vernon216

Vernon216 Member

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

dude likes this.
  7. Vernon216

Vernon216 Member

The Three Stooges & Scrappy appeared together on several advertising campaign and toys. In recent years, Scrapy has been confused with Big Boy.
    FB_IMG_1639937192408.jpg

Born2it, smallaxe and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Vernon216

Vernon216 Member

The Big Boy character wasn't introduced until 1937. No shirt, checkered overalls, different hair. Some similarities. The Scrappy doll is from 1935.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted