1938 Ammo 10 Stuck 8mm M30 Scharfe

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by tyeldom3, Jun 24, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I know I can't sell ammo on ebay, but there is a really nice gentleman here in town that will likely buy them from me. But I can't find any information out there, as to what they might be selling for, and I don't know a thing about guns or ammo, so any help is much appreciated. They probably don't have much value, but I would just like to find out, before I offer them to him. Thanks for your time.:kiss:
    DSCN1793.JPG DSCN1794.JPG DSCN1795.JPG

2. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

JMHO. a bit of research wouldn't hurt. especially on the US side of the pond these Mauser or Männlicher cartridges pay good money because of the eagle/swastika marks (of course by pure historical interest only...)

tyeldom3 and afantiques like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They have to be pretty rare unused in the original packaging, but that sort of thing is so legally tied up here there is no effective market.

My WAG would be $50, unless they cost you a lot more.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thanks fid, what is Mauser or Mannlicher? Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't see that anywhere? Thanks so much for your help.:cat:

5. tyeldom3

Thanks so much af, I really appreciate it.:) They only cost me 1 dollar, here in town at a local yard sale. I didn't know if they were worth $5., $10, or what?

6. afantiques

The Mauser and the Mannlicher rifles were Wehrmacht issue in WWII, some GI probably grabbed that box as a souvenir of a trip to Europe, and they have been lying around ever since, the old man probably died and no one knew what they were. The rifles were extremely high quality, and in the 60s you'd see them made into flash looking hunting rifles, and there would be plenty of rifles still around chambered for that round and still in use. New Winchester 8mm Mauser would cost about $35 for 20.

Spring would probably have an exact value answer for you, I'd contact him

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

What you have is pre-WWII German Mauser 7.92-mm rifle ammunition with a 5 round stripper clip. The ammunition was loaded into the clips and carried in the black ammo pouches the German soldiers carried at their waist. When the soldier needed to load his weapon he took one of the stripper clips out of the leather holder placed it in the top of the receiver on his rifle and pushed the bullets down into the clip in his rifle, discarded the stripper clip, closed the bolt on his rifle and he was ready to point and shoot.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

Thanks so much af, much appreciated. That helps me understand better. I'll keep digging, and see if I can find anything. I'll try to tag Springfield....if I can figure out how to do that.
    @springfld.arsenal

9. tyeldom3

Deradler1 thank you so much for that explanation! Boy, I'm learning so much, and that's a great help.:)

10. tyeldom3

11. afantiques

The estimate looks cheap, they'd be a good buy for a bit of target practice or plinking at that price, since the odd misfire would not be of any consequence. And you could reuse the brass.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. tyeldom3

Yes, so true af. $10-15. A box is pretty cheap. :woot: Oh well, I guess I won't be able to retire anytime soon.:hilarious: Thanks again

13. tyeldom3

14. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

Whatever you DO NOT FIRE this ammunition, the rounds are almost 80 years old and must be considered unstable and dangerous. If you plan on keeping them, take them to your local police department and have the gunpowder removed from the casing. if you sell them (you might have a problem if they have not been demilitarized) let the buyer know exactly what they are getting and make sure the buyer does not have a legal issue bringing in ammunition if they are not a federally licensed firearm dealer (FFL).

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. tyeldom3

Thank you so much deradler1. I really appreciate all the info. There is no way I would ever fire this ammo! I've never shot a gun in my life, and I hope I never have to!
    There's a local gent here in town that buys guns and ammo, and has been doing it a very long time. Maybe he will buy them from me for a few bucks. Thanks again for all the help and great advice. :)

16. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

If he is not interested, let me know.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  17. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

btw, Rottw. stands for Pulverfabrik Rottweil. seems they had a joint venture with Mauser at one time. for further research try google translate:
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulverfabrik_Rottweil

it is good practice perhaps to get the powder out, but IMO it makes them worthless for collectors. in my experience collectors of such stuff are a bit like little boys that have some pulp magazines to show around - or old buggers with erotica in ivory that are only shown when the ladies left the room.

tyeldom3 and afantiques like this.
  18. CCR

CCR New Member

I am in agreement with the post DO NOT FIRE THEM...they could be dangerous and unstable..You may think about donating them to a WWII military museum or contacting the Mauser corporation and offering to sell them to them for their museum (all gun makers have a historical collection) ,they can also probably give you more information to guide you in your journey. they look to be in fine condition for their age. Also a 2nd option is consider having the gun powder and primer removed by a qualified gun smith at a local gun store and then consider selling them as historical keepsakes to a collector,they will be worth less money without the powder and primer but your safer and more legally compliant when selling them. the fact that they have the nazi emblem is what makes them collectable. I am sure a collector of german war relics would find them appealing keep in mind they are scarce and rare...in the mean time take care in both the handling and storage of them..Good luck.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Disregard all the nonsense about removing the powder

tyeldom3 likes this.
  20. CCR

CCR New Member

Its not illegal to sell live ammo,there is no paper work involved and in most cases hard to trace..but you should take into account who you sell to,the ages of who you sell to better over 21 yrs of age and the laws concerning possession and distribution of live ammo in your city,county or state...the reason we say unload the powder is to avoid any mishaps or issues...anything can happen..but terry5732 is right you really dont have to disarm the ammo...just be careful in its handling and use.

tyeldom3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted