Featured 1940 Tercentenary Flag with pull down American Flag banners.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

All of these flags were stored together in the same box. One flag is stamped with the name of the company, Reliance, which, didn't prove helpful. Do you think the pull down banners are from the same time period? Newer? Older? I assumed that these represented the flags used from the original colonies through the addition of different states since all the flags have different star counts. I was not able to find what the large red white and blue striped flag without stars represents. Any thoughts?

If these are from the same time period, I think I could be safe in assuming that these were used during the same celebration. Sorry for the bad photographs, I took them last fall and then got sidetracked before I could shoot them without the sun spots.

These are two banners from the 1940 celebration. I think these were hung in either a church or the town hall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think all of these pull down banners were used outside.

This is a twelve star pull down banner with the name of the Reliance Company stamped on the edge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 star pull down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16 Star pull down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 Star pull down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Large striped flag without stars

[​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good photo's Mill Cove !!!!!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Figtree3 and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  4. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you! :happy: I can see them in that photograph you posted. The pull downs are hanging on the columns.

While I was researching, I read something about a church that was decorated for the celebration. It was in their historical files. I will have to find that again.

I think the blue banners are too clean and well preserved to have been hung outside.

Close-up from that photograph showing the columns.

[​IMG]

5. Mill Cove Treasures

I spoke with an elderly gentleman this afternoon. He was 13 years old and lived in Braintree in 1940. He said many buildings in town had these pull down banners, especially on Washington Street. He vaguely remembered seeing some inside buildings, possibly the Post Office and the Knights of Columbus building. Obviously mine are shorter and not from town hall. I feel confident to say these were used with the actual banners during the celebration back in 1940 even if I don't know the exact building they were used on.

Figtree3 and anundverkaufen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted