1970s PUERTO RICO POSTERS - TRAVEL? OPERA? FESTIVAL?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 6, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These 7 posters came into the thrift store just as I was waling by their bac door looking for vintage bikes. As soon as I saw those colors I asked how much - and the manager said I could have them all for $50; I bought them!
    They are beautiful, and some are pencil signed limited editions, but I don't know what all of them are - I can tell the 2 floating in glass are opera or ballet, and 1 or 2 have festival in their names so I figure they advertised that, but the one that says Bello - is it a travel poster?
    And the 2 with religious themes; especially the PAZ, are they advertising a church or were they just inspirational posters sold for homes & offices?
    I can't find these exact posters but I've found others with the artists' names (Alicea, Cajiga (which are the limited edition ones) & Lopito)
    Thanks all; I appreciate your help
    AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 1AA BELLO.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 3AA BELLO.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 4AA BELLO.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 1AA PAZ.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 2AAA PAZ.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 2BAA PAZ.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #1 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #2 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #4AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. journeymagazine

These are the 2 posters I am pretty sure are opera posters by Lopito?
    AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #4 1AA CONCERT CARMEN 1.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #4 1AA CONCERT CARMEN 4.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #4 1AA CONCERT TOSCA 1.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #4 1AA CONCERT TOSCA 3.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

1 and 3 are advertising art gallery exhibitions - Galeria La Caleta and San Sebastian Gallery, both in San Juan. 4 is advertising (as you noted) for a festival sponsored by the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture. 5 is advertising the Center for Popular Arts ("Folk Art") also sponsored by the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture, which appears to have been a more permanent location than a temporary "festival."

I don't know quite what to make of 2 - the lines below the image of Christ and a dove are from a Bible verse (John 14:27 - "My peace I give to you not as the world gives do I give to you.") There is nothing of an advertising nature on this one. Perhaps it was a print of an art work the owner saw at one of the galleries or exhibitions.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Your bottom 2 posters are just home decoration type stuff. If your planning to sell them all shipping is going to cost you just as much you will probably get online. Ebay asking prices are like 50.00 to 100.00 but not selling for those prices.

5. journeymagazine

Thanks - the bottom 2 aren't opera posters?
    I have a reg poster buyer who i sent pic to - he said he'd be here in an hour & buy them all for $300, so I'm going to do that.
    I ship paintings, frames, etc.. by shipbie.com; it goes through Fed Ex but at a 50% or more discount! I sent a large heavy Graflex box camera in a 13 x 12 x 10 box to eBay global shipping in Ky Monday through them - $15! And a italian race bike to Cal. last wee for $57! They are unbelievable & will accept other items besides bikes.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're from operas, for certain; they're both old chestnuts, performed all the time. No clue if the posters are worth anything except to an opera nut. No matter - you're offloading for six times what you spent, so you're making yours!

Three doggies? Three happy doggies, from the looks of them.

7. journeymagazine

4 doggies actually. But Brutus, the big black one in front, just attacked the blonde male Frankie (Frank Sinatra) yesterday - it is the 2nd time.
    We've had Frankie a year - bought him as a baby off a drunk for $10 - and they are both males, so I'm hoping getting both fixed will stop it - I think it's trying to show who is the alpha (yesterday my girlfriend let Brutus in from yard & he just attacked Frankie who was laying by couch - even though they'd slept together (with me) just the night before)
    Or it may be that Brutus is jealous - anytime another dog is getting attention he will come and stick his head in the middle wanting attention - my girlfriend says it's because he wasn't held as much as the others when pups because he was so big?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated - I am at a loss if fixing them doesn't work - they will play & sleep together and then out of the blue Brutus has enough and attacks poor Frankie
    I went off on a tangent here, sorry

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's probably an alpha dog thing, but I'm a cat person. That's how cats operate. The need to know you're the pack leader and won't tolerate their mess.

9. journeymagazine

He does with me but not my girlfriend - I thought that too

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Bello is the masculine form of beautiful or handsome in Italian and I'm fairly certain it's the same in Spanish.

11. journeymagazine

That's the one I thought was a travel poster

12. journeymagazine

I went back to the thrift store today & found 3 more - including 1st one that I'm sure is a travel poster!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 1AA TRAVEL POSTER.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #3 1AAAA TRAVEL POSTER.jpg

AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #4 1AA EXPOSICION NAVIDENA 1.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART POSTER PUERTO RICO POSTER #5 1AA.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted