Featured 1970's TECHNOS DIGILIGHT ERROR ON DIAL?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by journeymagazine, Sep 13, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local pawn shop yesterday. I knew Technos watches but hadn't seen this shape before.
    I thought I'd found it when I found circa 1970's Technos Digilight Automatic watches. They look EXACTLY like mine - but on the dial where they say Technos Digilight automatic; mine says: Technos Digital Automatic!
    I have looked & looked but can't find oner one like mine. Was it a misspelling?
    Is mine a early - or later - version?
    Also looking it up I see other ones described as 'Water Resistant' - mine says Water Proof' tested to 5 AT. Is that another difference?
    I bought this watch for $150 hoping to flip it (the digilights sell for $400+ - $600+) but I can't list it because I don't know what I have!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY WATCH TECHNOS 1CAA RESIZED.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY WATCH TECHNOS 3AA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY WATCH TECHNOS 7AAA RESIZED.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice watch....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe they made it in 2 versions? Did Digilight have a face that lit up? 'Looks just like, except...' is frequently means 'fake', especially when the only obvious difference is a slight change to a name that is not quite the same. Careful, keep doing your homework to be sure.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I bet there's something to what @Bronwen is saying re 2 versions -- maybe the light could not survive the waterPROOF test, so ended up with the water RESISTANT label.

Keep in mind, I first heard of TECHNOS watches when reading this thread. ;)

judy, antidiem, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  5. journeymagazine

The pawn shop owner is a friend - the watch is real I'm sure, or he'll give me my money back. I may try to contact company or a vintage watch forum if no one know here (that would be a first!)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've never seen one before in my life, but I'd wear it!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. komokwa

judy likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

Close. This is part of a style called jump something

judy likes this.
  9. komokwa

10. komokwa

Interesting that the watch above is the same as yours with a different face name....and all like yours seem to say Digilight.....as if a trademark of sorts....

upload_2018-9-13_20-38-21.jpeg upload_2018-9-13_20-38-45.jpeg

11. journeymagazine

No, mine says Digital - if it said Digilight I'd be happy; they're worth $300 - $400

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Yours is the earlier version, and possibly rarer.

Manufacturers stopped claiming things were waterproof and switched to water resistant possibly on the advice of their lawyers. Anyway, waterproof is earlier. These things were a commercial flop so now well ripe for being collectable.
    Dropping the name Digital may have been because some other maker already used it.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. komokwa

Many companies made this style of time piece...but the trend turned to very thin and light watches & these monsters were cast aside..

Draft saved Draft deleted