1971 BILLY JACK MOVIE POSTER w/'RECOMMENDED AS ADULT ENTERTAINMENT' STAMPED/PRINTED ACROSS CENTER?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 15, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Growing up in the late 70's & early 80's my dad at one point or another owned every theatre in Miami Beach except the Byron/Carlyle (which belonged to Wometco & were never for sale). I've done everything from cashier to concession to projectionist (after a movie's run I just to break the films down for shipping and send them back to the distributor - and the movie posters I just threw away!! (I know; if we only knew then what we know now) Unbelievable right?) - So I do know something about movie posters.
    The poster shown here has me confused; the small print on bottom is correct, but I can't find another with a 'RECOMMENDED AS ADULT ENTERTAINMENT' ON IT.

AND(!) near the bottom where the regular rating i, not only is it scratched/marked out - but the original rating that was there is wrong! It should be PG (Parental Guidance suggested) but this poster has GP??

Is this a authentic movie poster or a reproduction? If real could it be a error poster that didn't (or shouldn't have) go out? I found it at a thrift store today (along with a full size Halloween & a The Texas Chainsaw Massacre posters) - so maybe it was donated by someone in the business or a relative of someone in the business who passed away & they donated their posters they didn't want?

Thanks for any help!
    PS - It measures 14" x 36" - it would be called a quarter (1/4) sheet (a full size poster is called a one sheet)

Thanks again!

ART POSTER MOVIE BILLY JACK 1AA.JPG ART POSTER MOVIE BILLY JACK 2AA.JPG ART POSTER MOVIE BILLY JACK 3AA.JPG ART POSTER MOVIE BILLY JACK 4AA.JPG ART POSTER MOVIE BILLY JACK 5AA.JPG ART POSTER MOVIE BILLLY JACK 6AAA.JPG

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The below quote is from a discussion about another movie:

"The PG-rated 1972 movie (recommended as adult entertainment in some theater chains) received mixed reviews"

So neither of those seem odd.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I remember the GP rating and looks like the date was right for this movie (which I saw).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_film_rating_system#From_M_to_GP_to_PG

The ratings used from 1970 to 1972 were:

• Rated G: All ages admitted – General audiences.
    • Rated GP: All ages admitted – Parental guidance suggested. [Sometimes a disclaimer would say "This film contains material which may not be suitable for pre-teenagers"]
    • Rated R: Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
    • Rated X: No one under 17 admitted.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

the size you describe is that of an "insert". THey are usually a few inches short of standard height and about half the width Here are some like yours:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/searc...illy+jack+insert&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

you can blow up the pics to show the details and compare to yours. Yours is probably original. Also you can sign up for free and it will show you the auction price that it fetched there.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

7. journeymagazine

1070 - 1972 I was 10 - 12; I never heard of GP rating (funny since I ended up in theatre business from about 15 or 16 rill my 20's) - learn something new everyday! Thanks
    Was the Adult Recommendation added by theatre chain or studio?
    Thanks all

8. journeymagazine

Thanks Sunday Silence, I will.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I remember thinking it was stupid to change from GP to PG. Don't know the answer to the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted