Featured 19th century German (?) painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by statcat, Jul 13, 2018.

1. statcat

statcat Active Member

I have the opportunity to buy this but the dealer is unfamiliar with who the artist is. He just told me he bought it from Japan a long time ago and couldn't remember who painted it. I don't have a clue either but I liked the painting. Any ideas?

The signature looked like A F Foster 1896 but I know it must not say that. I know the photo is poor with glare but it's the best I can offer right now, sorry. It was hard to read the signature and even the year to begin with. Hoping someone could recognize the style perhaps.

37205470_287296112013004_4267147714787016704_o.jpg 37125252_287296122013003_4688497033160425472_o.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Christmasjoy, statcat and judy like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

clear pic of signature needed without reflection of light. like this it's a guess.
    and a first guess would be "Münchner Schule", 1850 to 1914.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Gawd , but she's pretty.....and the child's innocence and wonder.....
    Nice painting !!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely painting of a charming scene. I hope the bird has the sense to stay outside the cage.
    I can't see the signature because of the reflection. Is there a way for you to obtain a better photo from the seller? Or maybe take it yourself, without flash? Many of us can make it lighter for you.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

eventually Arthur Fedor Förster

Figtree3, aaroncab and statcat like this.
  7. statcat

statcat Active Member

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 12.00.38 PM (1) copy.jpg Thanks! I really do think Forster is the artist. I looked him up and there's very little info though. I see 2 portraits and some landscapes but nothing quite like this.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. statcat

statcat Active Member

yes that's basically what came up without the ö as well.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The biographical sketch does give a source at the end. If you can figure out what it is and get a copy of it, perhaps there is more information. I notice the sketch says he "lived in seclusion" and it sounds like he avoided social occasions. I actually think this sketch has a lot in it, when you consider his habits. What kinds of information are you hoping to find? And also, are you thinking of buying this for yourself, or to sell?

And the link Fid gave seemed to have a lot of possible paintings by him.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. statcat

statcat Active Member

There's a bio but what I meant more so with information (but phrased it not so clearly) was there were very few photos with info of his paintings online. What I posted was much earlier than most of what I see (1890s vs 1920s). Nothing else that came up in the search really matched the style of the painting I posted.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

14. statcat

statcat Active Member

wow didn't think anyone would be that curious about this painting to make another thread. I don't have any other photos because I don't own it but I'm going to try to soon.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think you are in with a chance on the artist ID, but bear in mind that my question is not about the painting, but rather an object depicted in it. If this is an auction item, be careful not to get caught up in bidding fever.

If those other links provide a sense of value, be aware of that.

16. statcat

statcat Active Member

It's a dealer that owns it, not an auction. He wants quite a bit of money for it (he came down in price) but it's a lot nicer than the other work I saw online and the only one around so I realize that.

17. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Can't help with the artist, but it is beautiful.

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so, all in all easily available info to get an idea about the price range. I would definitely not - depending on size - pay more than 200 $ max, because it does absolutely mean NOTHING since the internet exists when a painter is "listed". that attribute is really from the times when you had to go to archives of the big auctionhouses that had all the lists from old exhibitions and old price-lists. this here is a third-class painter, cerainly nice but all in all of no importance.

20. statcat

statcat Active Member

Really ridiculous low price you're suggesting. I saw the prices days ago but again those paintings are 30 or more years later than this and don't even look like the same artist. They look like boring thrift store level stuff I'd even say in some cases. I've definitely spent a bit more on artists that aren't exactly noteworthy if the painting is well done and didn't regret it. I'm not really interested buying to resell stuff in every scenario.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted