19th century Ludwigsburg or not?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Thomas Huffman, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Thomas Huffman

Thomas Huffman New Member

Hi all - I recently purchased this piece and after researching the hallmark, it appears to be a Ludwigsburg piece, made between 1803 and 1816. The hallmark looks legit based on the reference material I have found. Just wondering if anyone out there had any further insight. If this is a genuine Ludwigsburg piece, I'm curious of the value.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Did you use this site? I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the early mark and the later one, just subtle ones. Have you found a figurine like yours with more information?

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/baden/ludwigsburg-01/index.php

[​IMG]

Period of Duke Friedrich II (Duke 1797-1803, Elector 1803-1805), mark used between 1803 and 1816.
    [​IMG]
    Used since 1947, registered for special editions only.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

This is from Röntgen's book of marks. It's says the early mark is red or gold overglaze. It doesn't mention underglaze blue. Don't know personally.

IMG_20200707_133154.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  4. Thomas Huffman

Thomas Huffman New Member

Hi - Thanks for your response. I found reference to the blue hallmark (1805-1816) at the site below. The example given here is basically an exact match to the hallmark on my piece. The F and R stand for "Friedrich Rex." This was used during the reign of King Friedrich I.

https://www.theoldstuff.com/en/porcelain-marks/category/390-ludwigsburg-marks

I have not seen another similar Ludwigsburg piece for comparison. However, Meissen made this basic piece in the mid-1700's with the rider identified as Catherine The Great. Apparently, Ludwigsburg copied it at a later date and changed to a male rider, possibly representing Friedrich I. (Just a guess.) Again, just curious to know if anyone out there has any insight as to actual age and possible value.

5. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

My only thought is that the mark appears to be printed. I may be wrong but I would have thought that a piece of the period would have a hand painted mark.

blooey likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

7. say_it_slowly

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    should be looked at by someone who knows the brand. there's not only the mark that counts but Ludwigsburg had 1st and 2nd choice.
    like this by some photos only it's a shot in the dark to give a price or precise age. might differ between a few hundred and over 1000.

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted