Featured 19th century portrait.

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It will have to do until we can be excited about working out the signature. :)

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

0773DAB9-0FEE-46FB-8FBC-CBE9328DC457.png Uh-oh, page 3. :hilarious:

Figtree3, SSlava, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Lol - Excellent!

I'm going to coin your :hilarious: expression, but tweak it to "stupid excited" for use here in LA, where I expect it to go over big :woot::woot:

SSlava, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

@SSlava would additional pictures of the signature be possible?

5. Bronwen

Maybe 'wicked excited' for the Northeast?

6. scoutshouse

Yar, dude(tte)!

SSlava, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Could the first letter be a G?
    Maybe @kyratango can help with what might make sense phonetically? (Sp?) :confused:

SSlava and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

I've played with that, but it led to things that don't sound like any language. Could be an E, but that's even more difficult to work with.

9. Jivvy

I first thought it was a "G" and did not do well with that... but I also first thought it was "Giep" so maybe I'll fiddle with "G" again.

My brain has settled on "Capoduro", so I'm having trouble seeing anything else (which is why I asked for additional pictures).

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I read same :cyclops:, Capodino.

Absolutely!:)

Now you say... It could!:facepalm:

SSlava, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Using that name... came up with a Louis Capoduro, captain of the French 13th infantry, who was assassinated in the 1860s. Likely more (and better) information out there.

Debora

12. Jivvy

I only found the same info you did. And I did look.

Which is not to say there isn't more info out there, just that if the info exists, it's not being nice about it.

13. scoutshouse

Wow - that is really sad, if true.

kyratango, SSlava and Bronwen like this.
  14. Jivvy

Apparently, the "Captain" also went by Luigi. Be forewarned, dead person picture at this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninco_Nanco

Not sure this has anything to do with the painting (mostly sure it does NOT) :hilarious:.

15. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Thanks for the discussion! We must carefully read. As I understand it, a picture from France or Italy))?

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

I've been trying to let my brain play with the possibilities that what looks so clearly like 'p' is something else, such as 'fi', and that the 'd' is also something else. There's an extra down stroke there for a conventional cursive 'd', & Louis has dispensed with a lot of the usual flourishes for a pretty spare script, not added extra ones in.

SSlava, Jivvy and scoutshouse like this.
  17. Bronwen

Hello, SSlava. These last posts are wandering a little because we are not coming up with good ideas. For now, because of the name Louis & the date Août, we think the painting was done in France or a French-speaking location, but all our ideas for the surname have been Italian or Spanish (I still think Russian is possible). I am not sure it will help us, but we have asked for another of your very good photos of the signature, maybe this one with the picture tilted slightly the other way. Your painting is certainly keeping us occupied! :)

18. Bronwen

A tilted W? Think then we'd be back looking for a name from Eastern Europe.

SSlava and i need help like this.
  19. Jivvy

I am in total agreement that there is an "extra stroke" issue with the "d"... I just can't make anything else work.

I'd tried some other options for the "p", but don't think I'd gotten to "f" ... will fiddle with that, now.

SSlava and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Maybe 'ct'? He doesn't seem to make much of crossing his Ts, going by Août. Feels like time for this again:

[​IMG]

SSlava and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted