Featured 19th century table - repaired, not restored

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff Drum, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Seems I spend as much time repairing old furniture as I do finding it. I'm a repairer, but a minimal restorer - I want to keep old finish if at all possible. This piece was free because it was a pile of wood. But I like pieces like this - no missing parts, never been "improved", original (or at least old) finish, just needed a little TLC. Here's the process in pictures. I know this doesn't have much value these days, and even back when antique American furniture was more desirable this wouldn't have been a big draw because it is simple, country made, mid-19th century or so. But I like the lines, and wasn't hard to reassemble - probably even easier than Ikea (though it took longer for the hide glue to dry).

The only repair looks to have been done around the turn of the century: the back of the drawer was cut off (leaving the dovetails) and a bit of late 19th century drawer nailed back in its place. Part of its history.
    P1070478.JPG P1070480.JPG P1080483.JPG P1130484.JPG P1210501.JPG P1210496.JPG

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Sheraton, mid 19th century light stand, now referred to as a work stand.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, very nice and functional now. Although these stands were made by the millions and most don't have great value, still a very good looking and now working piece. Working being the key word there because if a piece of furniture is not working, it usually doesn't survive long. Furniture isn't like a painting where you can hang it and pretty much forget it, furniture occupies floor space.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've been using a much newer (60's ?) set of those for my bedroom night tables.
    They came out of Morgan's in Montreal.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love the way you've done that. It's honest.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

So many people would have tossed the pieces out, you brought it back to life and it looks wonderful:)

Jeff Drum and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. komokwa

it's a sweet table, and deserved a 2nd life........a feather in your cap !!!!

Jeff Drum and James Conrad like this.
  10. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

Nice table and nice work. (I've got a similar type table in curly maple that I paid $300 for years ago.)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good job -- I like seeing posts like this.

12. komokwa

sometimes a simple design can stand the test of time....when helped along..:playful:

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's so nice to see someone take the time to take something that WAS nice, but trashed, and restore it to a nice useful piece of furniture!!!!! Great job well done and KUDOS!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted