19th century world fair vases. Who made them?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Hoghschild, Oct 25, 2018.

1. John Hoghschild

John Hoghschild New Member

Most kind

Pat P likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think there may be other volumes out there like this one, where Britain prepared its own mini-catalogue for their Paris exhibitors only. This one is 1855:

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...eAKHTvECSkQ6AEwDnoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Pat P and John Hoghschild like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The site linked to below shows the third volume of the set I have for the London Exhibition, although the volumes in my set have nice period bindings. The chromolithograph illustrations are truly beautiful and make the items almost come to life.

https://archive.org/details/masterpiecesind3wari/page/6

They're very large, books... about 18" tall... so the illustrations are a great size to see detail.

This is one of the images (taken from the website above). The actual illustrations are higher quality than the image, too, with more vibrant color.

[​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  5. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

You must have a beautiful collection of books. That looks gorgeous. :)

Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

these are beautiful pieces John:) I wonder if they could be Austrian.

i need help, Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, AuDragon. :)

I do, thanks to the collection I inherited from my mother. She was a textile designer and used illustrations from some of her books for inspiration, plus she delighted in lovely old things. I've almost drooled looking through the books, with lots of "ah"s and "oh wow"s along the way.

I just started a thread asking for some advice since I'd like to start selling some of the books. This thread got me thinking about it again.

i need help and cxgirl like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    the expo of 1878 would be the only one that fits. Japonisme was en vogue since 1872 only. BUT I don't buy that family lore, sorry. rings in mouth missing - and the one that is most severe: which merchant would have been paying the fees for exhibiting his items without marks or signatures ?

9. John Hoghschild

John Hoghschild New Member

Yep, that's understandable from your point of view.
    It may be like one of those similar vases which had the "Made in Japan" labels on the bottom and that came off over the years- I don't know. It also may not have been an actual exhibition model but it's fact that our family were there and it's not all they bought.

Thanks for the leads. My father says he intends to visit some likely manufacturers mentioned by you all as he's retired with a holiday home there, and will enjoy it. It may be a while to come, but I'll remeber to come back to this thread and say what he finds.

Thanks!

LIbraryLady, Pat P and judy like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It would be so great if the Paris expositions were documented at this level of detail, at least the groups for the fine & decorative arts.

In your sample picture, the piece in the middle is decorated with Thorvaldsen's Night:

[​IMG]

judy and John Hoghschild like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

true. seen from France it's not very probable that you'll find the maker.

Draft saved Draft deleted