Featured 2 Bohemian Glass Beakers

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by R. Antonis, Oct 30, 2018.

1. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!

Could anybody help me date these 2 glasses?

# 1: Is a red glass, with white opaline overlay glass. Gold accents.

# 2: Is a cranberry/ruby red glass Moser beaker, with gold overlay, and porcelain miniature flowers.

I'm just not sure how old these are.

I hope somebody knows.

Thank in advance!
    R. Antonis

thumbnail_20181027_161319.jpg thumbnail_20181027_161330.jpg thumbnail_20181027_161338.jpg thumbnail_20181027_161347.jpg thumbnail_20181027_161403.jpg thumbnail_20181027_161439.jpg thumbnail_20181027_172557.jpg thumbnail_20181027_172601.jpg thumbnail_20181027_172620.jpg thumbnail_20181027_172651.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

First looks late 19th/early 20th. Is that "Moser" marked? Looks between the wars.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. R. Antonis

No, it's not signed. That must be a reflection or something. I'm not quite sure where you mean, but I have checked the glass just now.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Stunning! I've been researching a similarly cut lamp...

Maybe it just had a paper sticker? ebay

I have no idea why their actual description mentions murano?

Moser White Cased Glass Cut to Cranberry Decanter has hand-painted flowers surrounding decanter, the decanter has original sticker “Made in GDR (German Democratic Republic)-East Germany.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  5. scoutshouse

I can't remember at the moment what this pattern is called... It is Islamic or Persian

Moser_0133.JPG

But I thought it was really interesting that 1st Dibs didn't identify these (below) as Moser (at the insane price they're asking - $34,000!!!!!!!!) Maybe that's why?

Made of green glass they are enameled in white which is then painted in gold with a floral design, and further gilded in a way to emphasis their design. Two of the glasses are an identical pair and feature a 'Persian' shape of the bottle with a bulbous body sitting upon a flattened circular foot, that is topped by a ring mirroring the foot and which has a flaring neck with a sort of decorative scalloped edge. The singular vase is of a baluster form sitting atop the same foot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    judy and i need help like this.
  6. scoutshouse

@R. Antonis

Your photographs are superb. With the camera I have I'll never be able to match that quality :( What kind of camera do you have?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    cxgirl, R. Antonis and i need help like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ah, I thougt you meant the one with porcelain flowers was marked Moser.

R. Antonis, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  8. R. Antonis

Well, I have always used my phone for pictures (Samsung Galaxy Note 4).
    It has just damaged 2 weeks ago. And I make my picture with a new phone. I believe its a Samsung S6. So that should be anything special.

Only difference is that sometimes I take the picture is full sunlight, like these.
    Most of the times I don't btw

cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  9. R. Antonis

Because the flowers aren't glass, I assumed it was porcelain.
    I just found out that it's raised enamel. Called "Hochemail". (High enamel)

It could be that it's not Moser. I saw a couple of names pass by with this style.

Although with your example, I believe that the white glass could be Moser indeed.
    I will describe the glass with the enamel flower a Bohemian, which I'm sure it is.

cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  10. scoutshouse

The carafe seems to be a match for your piece, and since it still has a sticker...

I contacted Moser.com and asked what the gilded pattern on mine is called. If it's not Moser I'm sure they'll tell me. I'm not positive your pattern is part of the Persian/Islamic style, which would make it easy to date.

After the research I did on mine - turning up nothing conclusive - I was just happy to find that piece with the label :)

Screenshot 2018-10-31 15.12.33.png

cxgirl and R. Antonis like this.
  11. R. Antonis

I would advise you to place your question on www.glassmessages.com.
    There are many people there who can probably tell you al about it.
    They definitaly know their stuff.

I only post there when I have too much time on my hand.
    I find it hard to post pictures there. You very often have to resize the pictures etc.
    I found it too much work for just random questions.

When you have a specific, and piece of value, its worth the trouble.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. scoutshouse

13. Ownedbybear

Those enamelled flowers - and yes, that's the correct term - are also very common on Venetian glass. It's nigh on impossible to tell the difference, other than some colours are more common in different locations. They're forget me nots by the way.

yourturntoloveit and R. Antonis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted