Featured 2 Brooches, 1 Bracelet, 1 locket and a sick baby....

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Jun 19, 2019.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

I’m camped out in the BMRT residence today because the littlest is sick with a bug. Nothing can stop the US Air Force...but a running nose and a fever from a baby. :)

However I had a nice little surprise delivery of a few items I ordered and did not expect for a few days.

The bracelet is marked 925 but I haven’t a clue for what time frame it could have come from.
    A89CE5F3-6DDD-4ADF-A679-EDD69E0D6B14.jpeg C91C4388-1081-47C9-BA7E-3133B2DBD9E1.jpeg

The brooches also don’t have much history. One tested positive for a lower grade silver the other I think is brass? 13D7058C-6213-4376-B709-B8CAEC928D31.jpeg D18C4925-CD52-46A7-A9DA-6331099A3052.jpeg EDD3FC9D-6BA3-488B-AD5F-716F35730EE9.jpeg C36DF97E-5D99-4E51-9874-36AEEE29461D.jpeg

And finally the locket which I had asked for advice about in a separate post.
    DB4AA54A-FB07-4588-A71F-967F3B491EEC.jpeg CE685700-E9E7-40F2-A1CD-2EAA7D86D03F.jpeg

I’m shocked at how much detail they managed to cram in something the size of a nickle.

Anyone have any comments for the bracelet or the brooches so far as era or origin?

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That wirework can be Israel, Portugal, Turkey, etc. I'd guess Israel for the pin and ...dunno ... on the bracelet. It's not marked like an Italian one, so that's probably out. The locket has a full batch of hallmarks I can't see from here.

BMRT, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. BMRT

I know from the other thread the locket is David Andersen, an earlier mark. Enamel on silver.

judy likes this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Love the locket!
    Hope baby is better soon :)

BMRT and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The filigree brooch is lovely, the combination of those Arab lozenges and the raised rosette could be Palestinian.

The filigree bracelet is from the town of Kota Gede on Java, Indonesia. They make some of the best filigree in the world.
    Kota Gede silver is also called Djokja/Yogja silver, after the nearby city of Yogyakarta.
    My guess for the date is late 1960s, when those overlapping panels were made a lot, and they had already switched from .800 to .925 as their main silver fineness.
    Those lozenges are also found in Indonesia, possibly due to thousands of years of trade and an influential Hadrami Yemeni Arab minority.
    They still make similar bracelets, here is one in the same overlap style, and with the same clasp:
    http://kotagedesilver.com/barang/detail/Sweet_Bracelet_VIII

The way they make filigree in Kota Gede:
    https://elementsunearthed.com/2017/12/13/the-silversmiths-of-kota-gede/

The brass brooch is lovely, and I am sure it will polish up beautifully. The style is late 19th century imo.

Hope your baby gets well soon, plenty of tlc from a loving mom works wonders.:)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Mugzinnys, BMRT and judy like this.
  6. BMRT

Thank you. You need your own show or blog or something! If you don’t mind my ask, how do you know so much about jewelry?

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Greed.:hilarious:
    For both jewellery and knowledge.:greedy::bookworm:

Mugzinnys, Jivvy and BMRT like this.
  8. BMRT

That the rest of us can hope to join you one day. :smug:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted