Featured 2 chairs,are we Shaker or Shooketh ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by johnnycb09, Aug 26, 2023.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Picked these 2 up today at hoodwill for $5 each. They just called to me ! I thought maybe Shaker,but the info online just confuses me ! Any input is always appreciated.Pic heavy...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Where I want to put them but Mother doesnt like them !
    [​IMG]

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

In the style of ....... seem to have a little age to them. I see mismatched seats. Identical otherwise?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

one is a tad shorter than the other,and yes,different seats but otherwise seem identical. Thats what drew me to them really was the finish and aged look.

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would call them ladder-back.

Any Jewelry, johnnycb09 and antidiem like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mother is goofy....they look fine there..:happy:

6. johnnycb09

Shes of the old school. once something fits why move or change it ? We heartily disagree on that concept !

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. And lovely chairs. Are the lightweight, can you lift them with one finger?
    We all need a breath of fresh air sometimes, and homes are people too.:joyful:

johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My mother was the opposite. Sometimes she suffered from depression. You always knew because she would get up at 4:00am and start rearranging the furniture! It made her happy. She would have grabbed those chairs and found a place for them .

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What a wonderful way of dealing with her condition. And good that she was creative enough to come up with the idea.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I had a set of 4 of those chairs back in the 70s. I bought them used. They looked like the one on the left in your photo. Once the seats started to wear out, I put them in the basement where my son and his friends made them wear out even faster. I could not find anyone to replace the seats so I donated them. As I recall, the chairs were made by Hickory Chair. At least that's what the seller told me. They were light weight such that if someone stood up too fast, they would likely fall over and bang on the floor. Those were the days when you bought used stuff by finding ads in the newspaper.

I think the chairs are perfect where you've placed them. Will Mother get over it after awhile, you think?

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wait a sec, the chair in the photo where you show the bottom of the seat, it has a black and white cushioned seat -- was that chair there before? I might agree with Momma if you are replacing a pair of those chairs. I really like the black & white seat with the wall decor.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. johnnycb09

Yes,we got those black chairs at Home goods. At the time we had a different dinette table and they went perfectly.Very comfortable too. Im so eclectic in my taste though,some MCM,some Victorian,some kitsch ! Mom is strictly Early American,so needless to say we do clash on some things.Mostly though shes cool with changes,cause she knows I get tired of things often and move them around. She just figures it'll change eventually !

13. johnnycb09

Actually,I did find them remarkably light !

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted