Featured 2 Faced Ceramic Folk Art Tray?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KevinM, Nov 10, 2016.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

This is a 2 faced ceramic or stoneware folk art style tray or dish that I purchased yesterday at a thrift store. It looks like 1 face is that of a bearded man and the other of a lady. I think they perhaps look Greek.

The tray measures about 12 1/2" in length and about 7" in width. On the bottom of the tray it's signed but I can't make out the signature. I've searched around and can't find anything like this tray.

Does anyone know the signature or who made the tray, where it may of been made and perhaps a time period that it may have been made (ceramics and glass can be difficult for me to date sometimes)?

Thanks!
    Kevin

HPIM5295.JPG HPIM5296.JPG HPIM5298.JPG HPIM5299.JPG HPIM5300.JPG HPIM5301.JPG HPIM5302.JPG HPIM5303.JPG HPIM5304.JPG

lauragarnet, cxgirl and ascot like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Roman numeral date 2002 maybe?

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

All I can do is join you in your curiosity.
    Very interesting!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wonder if thats MMA-museum of modern art? I love this!

lauragarnet and komokwa like this.
  5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I have a charger that looks very similar to this. Mine isn't in front of me right now but I believe the mark on mine was M. Rabetz. Maybe she had different marks in her pottery years ? She's an artist who's early work was in stoneware with incised decoration.
    Don't know if it IS the same artist but might be worth looking into.
    Here's a pic of mine I took to send to her for IDing.
    charger1.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I guess it could be a Roman numeral or possibly MMA. Calico, the M. Rabetz incised face and hair do resemble it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

This is just a theory, but it could be Greek. The way the faces are depicted is very similar to the style of some contemporary Greek painters who have influenced Greek pottery, too. Search for Dimitris Mytaras, Giorgos Stathopoulos and Alekos Fassianos, to name some of them...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
  8. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks Mat, it's a good theory. I've looked at some of the painters but haven't found one that has a name that looks similar to the cryptic spelling on this piece.

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Me neither! I read Greek, but I cannot decipher it, too.

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Maybe just a potter who was inspired by their style...

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted