Featured 2 gal antique pottery jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, May 9, 2018.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Showed this in the finds thread and said I would send pics off to Crocker Farm. They responded that it did not meet their criteria for auction but provided no information about what it is. I don't know if it didn't meet their criteria just because of the crack or for other reasons.

I can't find any others quite like it. Edgefield jugs come closest but there are differences. The neck of mine is detailed differently than any other jugs I have found on-line. Few have incised numbers like this. Also, as you can see, mine has a unique vent hole with whittled wood plug. Any ideas? Any other avenues to search?

jug.JPG jug2.JPG jug3.JPG jug4.JPG jug5.JPG jug6.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@verybrad, am very disappointed they didn't give you any real information to go on.....I didn't think that was like them.....always thought them to be very helpful!!!! Anyway, in bugging my eyes out in your first image of your very neat jug (maybe moonshine jug????) you have my permission to call me nutz, but I swear I see two letters (N Y) or more, up where I've circled......I know you have eyes sharp as a tack so doubt you would have missed something!! Since you have the jug in hand, maybe you can do a double take!!!!!?? They blend in pretty well......... and I love the carved wood plug!!!!!

zJugaa.jpg

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, you have good eyes. Hopefully Brad can check!

I try to steer far away from these harder to ID items, but I would totally have picked this up. Really handsome/intriguing piece and seems to have some good age.

Would it be an idea to write Crocker farm a short note thanking them, and then maybe ask kindly for the email of the person who evaluated it, just hoping to get some additional on the piece? You never know.

4. verybrad

That same area is seen better in the second pic but checked anyway. Nothing there.

My experience in such cases is that the experts don't want to give information for free. I did ask for any information already and that request was ignored so can't see asking again. Might be different if I were to offer to pay for such services.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Must be something new from Crocker Farms. I have been sending them requests for years and have even offered money but was always told NO CHARGE.
    greg

6. verybrad

Here is the extent of our communication..... (I have removed the name of the responder)......

Hi Brad,

Thanks a lot for your photos; unfortunately due to a relatively low value, this would not be a good fit for our auction, but thanks again very much for considering us and best of luck with it.

Best,
    xxxxxxx
    Crocker Farm, Inc.

On 5/7/2018 3:02 PM, Brad wrote:
    Recently picked up this old 2 gal. jug that may be of interest. Have not found any with a little vent hole at the neck like this. It has a little whittled wood peg that fits tightly inside. Unfortunately, there is a pretty good crack that spiders on the bottom and extends up one side. Realize that this may negate your interest but would appreciate any information you can provide me about this jug. See attached photos. Thank you for your consideration.

As you can see, their response was polite and professional. Just not forthcoming with any information.

On a side note, this is a situation where Don (42Skeezix) is sorely missed. :-(

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

PERSONALLY, I would find out who the head honchos are, send them a copy, and ask them if "this is how you are treating valid inquiries on pottery pieces now"....if so, I fear you shall lose much business due to a VERY SNOBBISH, UNPROFESSIONAL RESPONSE, IN MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION......or something to the like!!!! THAT just makes me steam through the ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::blackalien::woot::yuck::vamp::vamp::vamp::vamp::vamp:

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  8. Lucille.b

This is similar to a response I got on something from Sotheby's a few years ago, but even had less info. Sotheby's just said that they were 'not interested'. Maybe these places are getting more inquiries post-internet, and have to keep things short.

Crocker farms said it didn't meet their criteria (which could mean a bunch of things -- valuable yes, but they don't auction damaged items, etc.)

But reading the cut and pasted response, they did give some key information. They said "due to a relatively low value, this would not be a good fit for our auction".

If you trust their appraisal 100%, if this is for resale, at least you have some info about value. Again, if you trust their appraisal. I agree, missing Don. He would have had some insight.

judy likes this.
  9. verybrad

Relatively low value can mean a lot of things. Does it mean without a crack it is 1K while with it $300? I would be very happy with that relatively low value. Otherwise this could be a $100.00 jug worth a fraction due to the crack. The closest jug I have found to it is priced over 3K on ruby lane. Still have not found any quite like it and none with the vent hole/plug.

judy likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

get back to them with..." May I ask what your low value threshold is for your auctions..? "

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  11. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Very interesting Jug Brad. I would think your on the right track as it being along the lines of Edgefield. That is a very unusual response from Crocker Farms. They have helped me with an ID once or twice over the years with no mention of monetary value. There is a group on Facebook called Southern Folk and Art Pottery. May I borrow your pictures to post over there?

LIbraryLady, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. komokwa

that's nice of you 'crs' !!!! :happy:

LIbraryLady, judy and *crs* like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Excellent, CRS! Maybe this will lead to some useful info!

It is a cool piece.

Just looked at the Crocker Farms website. Good point. Maybe they consider anything under $1K to be "relatively low value".

But can see a possibly confusion about appraisals. Under "Sell your item" it reads:

We offer a Free Pre-Auction Evaluation of your pieces and will give you a fair, honest assessment of your pottery.

But on the page where you write a description and attach photos, it says that the Pre-Auction Evaluation is only valid for pieces they are agreeing to consign.

Finger's crossed that the Southern Folk and Art Pottery folks have some ideas!

verybrad and Aquitaine like this.
  14. *crs*

So far only one person has responded. He suggested another group called Southeastern Stoneware. I've asked to join that group. Once approved I'll post it there also

15. komokwa

Careful....that they then suggest you go to the " That's a Crock " group, who then sends you to the " Crock a by Baby" group , who then says you should inquire at the " Stone Mason -Dixon line Crock a Doddle Do Consortium for Advanced Dirt Identification Group"..........................:confused::confused::confused::wacky::woot:

Aquitaine, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Your puns are crockin me up :p

Aquitaine, judy, *crs* and 2 others like this.
  17. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Brad, on another train of thought, what could be stored in a jug that needed a vent hole? None of the ones we used on the farm had such and some were used for hooch! Patd

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  18. verybrad

Thanks for cross posting! Appreciate any information anyone can provide. The only reason I can think for a vent would be to let gasses out periodically during fermentation. On the other hand, would think there would be more of them out there if it was a common practice.

As per the response from Crocker farms, it is along the lines of responses I have gotten from other auction houses when not interested in my items. My only other interaction with them was on a marbled milk jug I had that turned out to be European rather than American. Their response confirmed that but did not give a firm origin. I guess these houses do not want to help the competition since items they reject often end up in the marketplace in other venues.

judy and *crs* like this.
  19. komokwa

Awwww...thanks..!
    But , y'know....I could do this all day...kinda like...' Crock around the clock...' :hilarious:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. *crs*

:)

gauntlettgems, komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted