2 Japanese Scientific Instruments in Wooden Boxes. What are these?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Sep 4, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Can anyone identify these scientific instruments? The first (pic 1 & 2) looks like a thermometer, but the scale range is limited. The second is more unusual, looking like something that could be towed behind a boat. I can't read any of the Japanese and am hoping someone can translate, or will recognize these. Thanks! ... Dave
    db_japsci_1.JPG
    db_japsci_2.JPG
    db_japsci_3.JPG
    db_japsci_4.JPG
    db_japsci_5.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The first one appears to have a barometric read out, calibrated in cm. of mercury. Try putting it in a large clear plastic bag, holding the bag airtight (more or less) shut and squeezing the bag. The needle should mover to a higher reading.

The other I cannot see enough of to determine. It may be some form of hydrometer.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

K.S.F might be Korea Science Foundation

KingofThings likes this.
  4. gimbler-dave

Barometer looks like a good bet. Thank you afantiques for figuring out the scale. I will test as soon as I can find a suitable bag -- it's the same test we used for some altimeters earlier this year. Hard to find a big enough bag that is clear.

On the other, the possible hydrometer, is there anything in particular you want to see on it? I can post some more pictures.

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Hard to find a big enough bag that is clear.

If you can see the needle that is clear enough.

On the other, the possible hydrometer, is there anything in particular you want to see on it? I can post some more pictures.

Does anything move? What's the brown material? More pictures can't hurt but I think it would be the sort of thing that would be a lot easier to figure out in hand. (my cop out for not working it out.)

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Think first one with round dial is probably a barometer. Aneroid barometer in Japanese is アネロイド気圧計 and you can see some common characters among that, the dial, and the box, but I don't know the language.

7. springfld.arsenal

If u could take other one out of box and show more views of it, what moves etc it would help.

8. gimbler-dave

Will do -- I'll grab some more pictures now.

9. springfld.arsenal

The packaging is typical of that found with Japanese WWII military optics and instruments, and the aging is about right too. These were undoubtedly GI bringbacks.

10. gimbler-dave

The unknown item is about 15 inches long and weighs 3 pounds 12 ounces. Here are the pictures ...
    db_japsci_6.JPG
    db_japsci_7.JPG
    db_japsci_8.JPG
    db_japsci_9.JPG
    db_japsci_10.JPG

11. gimbler-dave

The only thing that moves is a cover for the scale. There is a setscrew at the top. When loosened, it permits the scale to be covered or uncovered. You can see the scale in the last picture. I didn't see any liquid or indicator within the scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted