Featured 2 Miner Pics-Alakan Yukon Gold Rush & Any Info on the Photgrapher ???

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by bosko69, Jun 5, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a couple photos I picked up years ago,one is marked 'Case & Draper,Skagway Alaska'. The full length shot is carte de visite size,the head shot is cabinet card size.Can anyone tell me anything about the photographer,or (long shot) the identities of either of the two men ? Thanks for the help. Miner1.jpg Miner2.jpg

2. bosko69

Sorry forgot to mention-nothing on reverse of either photo.

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Couple of Sourdoughs...handsome folks, aren't they? And those furs! Not made in the camps, they look tailored...and oh, so plush!

Probably known to Rob't Service...y'think?

stracci likes this.
  4. bosko69

The Land of the Midnight-Service,one of my Dad's favorite poets.Used to read me 'The Balad of Dan Magrew' when I was a teeny tot-great childhood memories along with Jack London.Incredibly haunting beautiful writing.I grew up abt 10 miles from Jack's last home and his 'Utopian' farm in Glen Ellen,CA-where we scattered Dad's ashes (don't nobody tell the Park or Forestry Service !).

pearlsnblume and stracci like this.
  5. bosko69

They were dashing tough fellows in those days-could've been Hollywood extras 30-40 years later.

6. bosko69

The guy in the fur must've been nicknamed 'Sven' ! (or Swede).

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fabulous! Case & Draper, as you should know, were in business from 1898 until 1907. Since yours doesn't include Juneau branch, likely 1898 to 1905.

Debora

pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and stracci like this.
  8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

My Brother an' I were 'encouraged' by Dad to recite 'The Cremation of Sam McGee' and be familiar with several others when we were little, during & just after th' War...Dad's favorite poet. I still can...most of it. I was charmed to find, late in life, that there really is a Lake LeBarge!

"...since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm!"

9. bosko69

Awesome ! Sure wish there was name on the back of one of these,well 'Scotty' of course. Guess we'll have to let Robert Service and Jack London tell their stories.Will see if I can a museum or state record with a large holding of Case & Draper Skagway images.Thanks all.We'll all meet up at Lake LeBarge !

10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

11. bosko69

Thanks Roaring-Will do more research into Alaskan (and other) digital photo archives.

Roaring20s likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted