2 PAINTINGS FOUND AT THRIFT STORE TODAY - HAVE QUESTIONS (Of course, right?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 3, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found these today at my local thrift store. The larger surreal(?) one I took, rolled my cart a few feet, took it out to put it back, looked at it a few more moments - then because it was so different I put it back in my cart and finished my treasure hunting!

It measures 27" x 38" and is signed NP (which did not give me a good feeling about it being by a listed artist) - can anyone tell me who the artist is, or your thoughts on the painting? (definitely not a factory painting this time!)

The second, darker one - I think- looks like it was done by a talented, hopefully known, artist - they were able to capture or make the dark ominous feeling come out!

Does anyone know who the artist Stevens is?

It measures 22" x 28"

Once again I thank you guys for your help; I do appreciate it.

ART PAINTING SURREAL NP 1AA R.jpg ART PAINTING SURREAL NP 1A_AA.jpg ART PAINTING SURREAL NP 2AA CLOSE UP R.jpg ART PAINTING SURREAL NP 3AA R.jpg ART PAINTING SURREAL NP 4AA R.jpg ART PAINTING STEVEN DARK PAINTING 1AA R.jpg ART PAINTING STEVEN DARK PAINTING 2A_AA.jpg ART PAINTING STEVEN DARK PAINTING 3AA CLOSE UP 1.jpg ART PAINTING STEVEN DARK PAINTING 4AA R.jpg ART PAINTING STEVEN DARK PAINTING 5AA.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The faces on the first one are so very typical of faces used to represent the sun and the moon and then with the colors of the two figures... I rather suspect this is meant to represent sun and moon as lovers. What's the label on the back say?

Haven't researched either, but my hopes are with the lovers, not the spooky tree.

Houseful likes this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

What does the white sticker say on the back of the first painting?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the tree is awful lonely...but the geese flying south......gives it a hopeful quality..

the way it's framed ...I'd think the 70's...& not factory art.

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Given her poise, and the movement lines, I take it their dancing

Other than a striking resemblance to Val Kilmer, that's all I got !!

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I couldnt find anything on both. The first one looks to be signed with just intitials. My guess someone who did it for fun. Let me know what the sticker says. The painting is fairly new probably done in the last 8 years. The second one is decent but not a high value or well known artist. My guess is they had some sort of training but never got well known so mostly decorative value at best.

7. Jivvy

Not my guess at all, how did you arrive at that?

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The back of the canvas is pure white with a modern white sticker on the frame. I'm not talking about the tree painting

9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'll post photo when I get home but it's a sticker for framing co. - Mobile Framing from here in Miami

10. Jivvy

Perhaps, for the back, I'm giving more weight to the effects of the south Florida sun on a photo.

Everything on the front screams 60s/70s to me.

komokwa likes this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The frame appears to be 60 or 70s but the painting itself doesn't appear to be that old from looking at the back

12. Jivvy

Sorry, I was talking about the piece not the frame. Honestly, if someone said 1950s, I wouldn't argue too hard for the 60s/70s.

I do get what you're saying about the back. I'm just not convinced we have an accurate look at the color. Or that it hasn't been re-lined (seems unlikely).

Or someone painted the back with a coat of house paint. Wow, would not surprise me.

Stuff happens. I think we need more info. @journeymagazine more pictures when you get home! :smuggrin:

13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It seems to me that the first one is likelier to be by a listed artist than the second one. It's more accomplished, in my opinion.

Jivvy likes this.
  14. Jivvy

Totally agree. The second, imo, is a talented hobbyist (the sky is effective) working from a photograph.

Moon/Sun Dance definitely has something going on.

15. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The first one I'm getting more of a student feel the moreI look at it. Its not bad but for me if feels like something is missing just not standing out

Draft saved Draft deleted