2 round end/casual tables - not old.....to trash or not??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Aquitaine, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi! My neighbor asked about these two round top pedestal type tables (Duncan Phyfe), think repro.....one is in pretty tough shape, the other maybe salvageable?? Your opinions please would be most helpful??? I know he could do an awesome job refinishing them, HOWEVER, his wife wants to sell them, and if they're only going to bring $15. or so dollars, HE doesn't want to waste the time and energy TO refinish them......can't say as I can blame him.....he is a VERY talented guy who over the past two years has gotten into gorgeous bird and now other animals carving!!!! Thanks in advance for taking a look.....Hopefully they will show up in ORDER!!! AND Thank You AGAIN For Your HELP!!!!! BTW....there was NO writing on either table....someone had thrown a coat of stain and varnish on this first pictured table....LOUSY job! The second table top has water damage......

Table2a.jpg Table2b.jpg Table2c.jpg Table2d.jpg Table2e.jpg

Here's the OTHER table.....worse shape and cheaper looking wood.....broken rim around the top also.....
    Table1a.jpg Table1b.jpg Table1c.jpg Table1d.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    gen belli likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're 20s/30s reproductions. I'd call them "Mess With Me" grade furniture. Refinish, paint, repurpose. They're not junk, they look like really nice wood, but the only way they're probably going to sell for money is to give them a funky paint job. If that's mahogany (@verybrad ) I'd do a good refinishing job on them myself, but Brad is the expert.

gen belli likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The first is the nicer of the two and a better candidate for refinishing if that is in the cards to keep. The second would not be worth doing. If for resale, both would do better in paint. Both are likely mahogany veneer with a lesser solid wood stained to match.

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

These pedestal tables are usually referred to as candlestands today. They held candlesticks as well as plates and cups. They usually had/have tripod bases with round tops. They were made in various heights and styles. Most of them had tilt tops tables. They have been made in America since the 1700s to yesterday. I agree with evelyb that these probably date from the 1920/30 to possibly 1960.

--- Susan

gen belli likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Now seeing Brad's reply. As he didn't refer to them as candlestand tables, I suspect the table tops are too big/wide to be considered candlestands. FWIW, I also like the trefoil one.

--- Susan

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would also call them candle stands but this seems to be a term that has fallen out of favor these days. Tables like this in the so-called Duncan Phyfe style with the brass paw feet were at the height of their popularity in the 40s but were made in large numbers into the 50s. I am sure that some were made earlier and later but generally get dated to the 40s-50s. .

7. Ladybranch

I think you are safe in calling these tables Duncan Phyfe *style* because of the flared saber legs. DP table legs are usually slender, tapered and reeded having paw feet, usually brass paws. Acanthus leaves are usually carved on the pedestal. The trefoil table has acanthus leaves on the pedestal urn.

--- Susan

Edit: Gee, Brad answered before I posted. I must remember to refresh before posting.

8. Aquitaine

THANK YOU so much Brad, Susan and Evelyb for your valued expertise!!!! Totally appreciated!!!!

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Called wine tables here. I've a proper Georgian one.

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

OMG.....SO sorry I forgot completely about dimensions!!!!!!! BOTH are about 22" to 24" in diameter and 28" in height. Whatta DUNCE.....just give me the hat:banhappy::banhappy::bag::bag::bag::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Draft saved Draft deleted