Featured 2 Scottish? Paintings on Silk with Inscriptions

Discussion in 'Art' started by LoveTheHunt!, Jul 29, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Researching for my old friend again, sorry I have only a couple pictures quickly snapped with my phone camera at the side of the road:
    Painting-On_Silk-Scottish-My_Father-sight.jpg
    Painting-On_Silk-Scottish-My_Father-inscription.jpg
    Painting-On_Silk-Scottish-My_Mother-sight.jpg
    Painting-On_Silk-Scottish-My_Mother-inscription.jpg
    HE describes them as "Scottish" paintings on silk...
    Both paintings are framed under glass, with circular "mat" painted on inside of glass.
    I didn't measure, but if I recall correctly, the sight areas are maybe 12" ~ 15" diameter.
    There is an inscription at the bottom of each painting, one pertaining to something "my father" said, the other something about "my mother". You can make out at least some of the words, but the second line of one of them is partially obscured by the "mat".
    I haven't found anything like this in searching for "Scottish painting on silk", would appreciate any input from you guys!

Marzena, Mugzinnys, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Mugzinnys, judy, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I find them charming! Hope they turn out to be something extra special for your friend.

Mugzinnys, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  4. LoveTheHunt!

Awesome! At least I have some context for the subject matter.
    He might want to sell these; what kind of paint do you think these have? They are definitely on a fine textile - silk? linen?
    Do you think these might be painted by Bunsbury, or more likely "after" Bunsbury?
    Thanx for a great start in the right direction. I hope to learn more so I can give him so idea whether they hold much value...

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't know about these, but needlework canvases from 18th/19th century that came with pre-painted faces and hands were most often water color (occasionally oil).

I suspect these are water color.

And I'm want them without knowing anything about them. :woot:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Most antique paintings on silk were done with ink or a a mix of ink with gutta from gutta percha.

7. Jivvy

8. Jivvy

9. Jivvy

Just posted so we all know why Bunbury came up. ;)

10. LoveTheHunt!

I suspect some type of watercolor, also. I once had a pair of very old paintings done in "bodycolor"; I wonder whether that is a possibility here, as well?

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think they look too good to be true.

After Bartolozzi, after Bunbury, and my guess is long, long after. (Always happy to be proven wrong.)

12. LoveTheHunt!

We'll have to see about opening up the frame(s), that should provide some more clues...

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Really beautiful, LTH.
    Be careful, you have two delicate materials there, silk and verre églomisé, which is that gilded/painted glass.
    I don't know exactly when this specific type of verre églomisé was used. I have 1850s prints which are period-framed with the same kind of verre églomisé, black with just a gold line, like these. But it could have been used before and after.

LoveTheHunt! and Mugzinnys like this.
  14. Jivvy

Before you open them up, could you snap full photos of the frames front and back?

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  15. LoveTheHunt!

Yes - assuming I get possession of them. I'm meeting with my friend today, so we'll see...

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted