2 Small Aqua pottery fan style vases D------????

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone would recognize the maker of these 2 vases. Each one has a partial mark on the bottom. I tried multiple combinations last night on Google & came up with nothing.

They are 4 5/8" tall & about 6 1/4" across the top.

The other thing that is weird to me is when these vases are tapped they make a strange sound. I have looked them over from top to bottom & I can fine absolutely no damage anywhere. Could it be the style of the vase or the type of glaze that was used?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:
    Peggy

lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Knee-jerk reaction is one of the North Carolina potteries. Cole, maybe. The black siggie is confusing, though.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Decker....Deckep_.....??

They're very underwater like.....& pretty !

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that these are likely NC pottery / Cole. Not sure which of the Cole potteries since I can never seem to get the nuances that distinguish them. The name on the bottom could be the owner. For some reason, people wrote their names on the bottom of some possessions in the 50s and 60s. Always figured it was for if they loaned them out but have also seen some with social security numbers as well. I think that was in case of theft. Can you imagine putting your social security number on your things today?

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Definitely J.B. Cole from Seagrove, NC, Peggy. Most likely turned by Nell Cole Graves. She was known for her ability to turn out thin pieces. Virginia Shelton, who also worked at J.B. Cole turned out thin pieces also but all the ones of her's that I've seen are usually marked V.S. The black marker is most likely a previous owner. You can just go ahead and send them to me :)

6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yup, Cole.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I would have never guessed that these were Cole Pottery. :jawdrop::happy::happy:

You can just go ahead and send them to me.

Wanna trade even up for next years Terapeak. ;):happy: LOL

I have never understood the marking the bottom of pieces either, but I guess that explains why I kept coming up empty when searching for the name. :p

Thank you to everyone for the assistance!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

All I have to say is that was one kick a-- shelf lot!!! :smug::smug::smug:

The auctioneer somehow missed the mark on the bottom of the 8 Waterford sherbets in the Tramore pattern that were on the shelf with these vases. There were also a couple of miscellaneous items that should double my $20.00 investment, so everything else will be gravy. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Peggy

lauragarnet and *crs* like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted