2 Small Framed Rugs (Southwest?)

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by darryl, Mar 7, 2021.

1. darryl

darryl Well-Known Member

I just purchased these two framed rugs and I really know nothing about them. I would appreciate any information or comments. I purchased them in AZ and they were framed in Newport Beach, CA (in case that is helpful info). These are my first rug purchases. Thank you!

rug_50.jpg

rug1_50.jpg

rug2_50.jpg

rug3_50.jpg

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

most likely mid century Chimayo weaving ...

4. komokwa

@Taupou , will have good information on these too! ;):)

judy likes this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

What size are they? They look like placemats instead of rugs.

Bakersgma, judy and KSW like this.
  6. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

They look like samples. You see them a lot in museum gift shops.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The textiles in question are a good "learning experience," in that they are excellent examples of what to watch out for. Because, unfortunately in this case, most of the value lies in the frames, rather than the weaving.

It all depends, though, in what one is looking for. If the only purpose is to find something with decorative value, then buy whatever attracts your attention, and that you want to live with. If, however, the purpose is resale or possible investment, you'll want to look for rugs that have some potential to actually increase, or at least maintain, some value. In terms of "Southwest style," that means Navajo, which are all handmade, one-of-a-kind, Native American art pieces.

To a lesser extent, some weaving from the Chimayo region of New Mexico may fit that category, but these are not from Chimayo. Chimayo weavings are not Native American, they are Hispanic, woven on horizontal floor looms, like the rest of the non-Navajo world uses. They will have wool warp, however, and are considered part of the Spanish Colonial Art heritage of northern New Mexico.

The fact that these appear to be cotton, have a thick outside warp, and fringe on both ends, show these are neither Navajo nor Chimayo. A search for "Navajo weaving" on the top of this page, will show past posts that give more details about this topic.

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. komokwa

I'm still learning.......thanks @Taupou !!!

( & I've had Chimayo weavings.........so...slow learner , I guess ! )

9. darryl

darryl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the valuable information. Luckily, they were cheap and I had thought "Well the frames are worth more than that!" I wouldn't take a big risk in area where I know absolutely nothing. It is interesting to see the things people will pay to have framed. Thanks! ;);):happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted