2 Thrift store paintings - anyone heard of Max Moreau or Albert Mohr?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 13, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 paintings at a local thrift store today (first time I went this week; I've been fighting a cold!) and when I googled their names they both came up, but I've never heard of either?

Has anyone heard of either of these artists? (Max Moreau & Albert Mohr both have paintings on eBay but only Max Moreau has ever sold any - and that was only 1)
    Thoughts on the paintings? (Are they well done?)

Thank you for any help!

ART PAINTING MAX MOHR PARIS 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING MAX MOHR PARIS 3AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING MAX MOREAU PARIS CORRECT SPELLING LAST NAME 5AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING MAX MOREAU PARIS CORRECT SPELLING LAST NAME 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING MAX MOREAU PARIS CORRECT SPELLING LAST NAME 8AA.jpg

ART PAINTING ALBERT MOHR NUDE 1AA.jpg

ART PAINTING ALBERT MOHR NUDE 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING ALBERT MOHR NUDE 4AAB.jpg ART PAINTING ALBERT MOHR NUDE 8AA.jpg

2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Max Moreau in artnet paints in an entirely different style and subject matter than your painting, Journey. I would not jump to the conclusion that they are by the same person.

6. journeymagazine

Signatures I saw look the same?

7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

And his bio states he did paint Paris scenes!

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I agree with Bakersgma. I think the painting style and signature looks by a totally different hand.
    IMG_2490.jpeg

9. journeymagazine

10. journeymagazine

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Another difference to note perhaps, ones I saw didn’t have a location noted underneath like yours. Here’s more sigs. Script, caps mixture, take your pick. All supposed to be painted by the same person.
    IMG_2496.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg IMG_2497.jpeg

12. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

See a lot of paintings on different sale sites and like the previous post listed as.....Signed Max Moreau...which straight away suggests to me they are not painted by Max Moreau.I'm of the opinion that your painting is not by Max Moreau as firstly the outline of the buildings in Moreau paintings are more clear and precise,and the tops of the buildings in your painting are IMO very poorly painted,secondly there are 12 women portrayed in your painting on the one street corner,which again to me does not seem right,in Moreaus paintings there are generally a mix of people, couples ,women, and men.So unfortunately Journey I would have to say that your painting falls into the.......(signed Max Moreau) ...category

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted