2 white wicker chairs, age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I just love these, but will be selling them. Guessing 1960's/70's or could either possibly be older? Thanks for taking a look.

wickboth1.jpg wick1.jpg
    wick2.jpg wick2b.jpg wick3b.jpg wick3d.jpg wick6.jpg wick6b.jpg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think the curlicue one is 60s/70s but the plainer one might be earlier...but I don't know much about this stuff. Pretty!

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was coming to the same thinking as Wendy. The only nagging thought is if the metal caps on the legs were originial which would make it newer also. If they are add ons it appears to be older.
    greg

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I had one of the curly cue chairs without the arms, and the headboard to match.
    Cost Plus 1970s.

5. Lucille.b

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to go with vintage for sure on the curly cue one. Guessing the other dates around that period as well, but I also had a hesitation that the simple one might be older. It has rubber feet on the base, could have been added later or might have been original, if they came with it, obviously a newer chair. The construction underneath both seems similar, so thinking these are probably the same vintage.

They were both the GW, I just thought they would be great on someone's covered porch or as ornate side chairs.

There is consignment store that loves stuff like this, but going to try them separately Craigslist first so I don't have to settle for 50%.

I had nice luck with a wicker find a few months ago -- had posted an inquiry on the old Ebay collectibles board (before we moved here.) Don't know if you saw that post but it was an interesting order of things. I'll see if I can find photos and post a summary.

6. Lucille.b

Wow, found the photos, I can't believe it.

This was another wicker thrift purchase. A much more interesting chair, in the end came to believe it was also vintage, but found a great photo thanks to the poster named "eclectic seller".

Mine was in such amazing condition, solid as a rock, I felt it certainly must be vintage and not older, but posted on what was then the Collectibles board. A few people commented on the post, then eclectic seller came up with a photo found on Ebay of a copper plate advertisement for a Victorian wicker dining chair, and posted it for me just so I could see that there were chairs like this in Victorian times --not to say mine was that old, but that it could be in principle, a copy of such a chair.

But the crazy thing was that the photo was almost exactly like this chair! See what you think. 3rd photo down.

dischair.jpg
    dischair3.jpg

hopeebay.JPG

Only a few tiny, tiny differences.

Did wind up selling it, I included a printed photo of the copper plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted