Featured 2x2 needlepoint image

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Grandmasattic, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

In my grandma's attic I found a large framed 2x2 cloth image. What kind of embroidery is this? When was it likely made? PXL_20221129_234505476.MP~2.jpg PXL_20221129_234513165.MP.jpg PXL_20221129_234510634.MP.jpg PXL_20221129_234520745.jpg

2. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

'Tis needlepoint... can't tell if it is wool, silk or cotton... and not sure of the era without more info. Cute piece!
    Leslie

pearlsnblume, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

It would be needlepoint. Looks either like it was unfinished or has some damage. If it is wool ,could be moth damage i see along the edge. no idea on age. Others will want to see the back of the frame.

pearlsnblume, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How is the back finished?

pearlsnblume, judy and antidiem like this.
  5. Grandmasattic

Attached Files:

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Given the poor condition of paper, I would suggest removing it all so you and we can see what was going on. Seems to be another later of material at the back.

7. Grandmasattic

Done

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely mounted over something else. It's needlepoint, but done with cotton embroidery floss instead of wool. Looks like anyway. It's possible the missing stitches were never there in the first place; somebody's Grandma didn't quite finish it and they framed it anyway.

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Hello again, @Grandmasattic. It seems you will be posting lots of stuff for us to look at, which is fine. We love helping. Your photographs have been quite good for a new member.

It could save time for you and us if you could consistently follow a few steps so we don't have to send you back to provide more details.
    - photograph full views of the front, back and sides of each item (if applicable).
    - take closeup views of any details that can show methods of construction, markings
    such as labels or signatures, and any damage to the item.
    - select "full image" when posting your photos, which presents the images in the
    body of your post without us having to click through them. It is sometimes easier
    to enlarge a "full image" on our screens as well, which can be really helpful.
    (I honestly don't know why the smaller image option is there, but it is the way the
    site was set up so we just deal with it.)

And as always, (which you have done in this case), provide measurements so we know how big the item is.

Perhaps you can make a check list to follow until this all becomes automatic. I am sure you will get the hang of it by the time you have made it through the attic. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted