3 Antique Japanese Wall Sculptures Samurai Foo Dogs Donkey

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 30, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

They appear to be old but I know nothing else. Not sure how were they originally supposed to be hang but looks like someone modified the backs at some point.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

They remind me of Chinese Shiwan figurines, AKA Mud Men.

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them to pieces :cat:

4. spirit-of-shiloh

Wern't mudmen made with a finger hole? I believe I saw how one was made online where the artist moulded the clay around his finger?

5. spirit-of-shiloh

I just Googled Chinese Shiwan figurines so I am incorrect.....again :p

6. kardinalisimo

Actually, I am not sure if they are Japanese or Chinese. I was thinking that those are sumurai but this does not mean that they were made in Japan. Then, the dude on the donkey looks Chinese to me.
    The old Shiwan pieces are all hand pressed and they have holes on the bottoms for the potter's fingers. The newer are usually molded but mine sculptures are for hanging on a wall amd they have openings on the backs. I think the clay is not right for Shiwan ware but I could be wrong.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

I wonder what the black stuff is, they look like they WERE hollow at one time?

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

On my monitor, looks like some idiot filled them with sanded grout...

~Cheryl

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think they are Chinese and Immortals rather than Japanese samurai.

Shouldn't be so hasty. Immortals rather than Samurai, but I don't know if Chinese or Japanese.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  10. kardinalisimo

not sure what that is but maybe whoever did it, did not want to risk drilling the figurines and damage them. I wonder what were the original hangers. The pieces cannot stand so they were either meant for a wall or were mounted to something.

11. kardinalisimo

If Chinese they are maybe Sancai ware? If not wrong, the pieces from Tang dynasty were always covered with white slip before being glazed. Don't know if that was how the later Sancai were made.

12. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

You should call them Sancai, as that's what's going to bring in the most money for you. I sold one figure that was very, very similar about 9 months ago. It didn't bring in tons, so I'm assuming they are not very old. Not brand new either, though. Certainly not Ming. I think they are from 30s-50s. They will sell though!

13. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Love them---me want.

14. kardinalisimo

Found what they are, Chinese roof tiles.

quirkygirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted