Featured 3 little (ceramic pottery) pigs... English? Help w/maker's mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm starting to list things that I actually had on display at the house, lol. Time for these 3 little piggies to go...

Any help with the maker's mark? I have a feeling they might be English, but only basing that on a lot of the pottery the former owner had.

They are all individually made and glazed, pretty small, just 1 1/2 inch long. Anyone recognize that mark? Thanks!

pig1.jpg pig1b.jpg pig3d.jpg pig3f.jpg pig3ff.jpg pig4d.jpg pig1f.jpg

antidiem, judy, patd8643 and 8 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nothing that rings any bells, but they're studio, so who knows!

Lucille.b and scoutshouse like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    OMG they are wonderful!!!! I love pigs. My friends chipped in and bought me a 300 lb cement pig. It was life size and an artist friend painted it for me. I used to have it in the front yard of my old house and people used to slam on their brakes to look at it. I got reported a few times about keeping life stock in a residential neighborhood so I had to move him to the back yard. When we were moving here the community rule was no lawn ornament higher than 18" was allowed. So I had to farm him out to a friend.:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
    greg

Donna HA, judy, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

5. Lucille.b

Thanks, folks.

I should add (only guessing on the age of other items at the sale) that these might have been created 1980s-1990s.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't know what they are Lucille, but I think they are adorable!!!!!!!

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG, they are SO ADORABLE !!!! Do they have an equally adorable cute curled little tail?????

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

There was a British potter Named Eileen Stevens whose mark I think looks a lot like yours...
    [​IMG]

Vee, scoutshouse, judy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Thanks, Johnny. I'll check it out!

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Looking at her work, not seeing anything exactly like this, but good find with that signature.

Of course, got side tracked and found this which has nothing to do with my pigs other than it is a pig. Was impressed at the amount it sold for. If you look closely you can see the original price in pencil on one of the feet. ($1.25)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uhl-Potter...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

scoutshouse, antidiem and judy like this.
  11. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Breed of pig: Hampshire. When I was a kid the family across the road always raised a few of them each year. I loved playing with the piglets. My mother hated when the wind blew out of the east. :D

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Angler Sattelschwein originally from Schleswig-Holstein. could well be that the Angeln - the later Anglos -brought it to England.
    in Switzerland there is a similar race "Gürtelschwein" (belt pig).
    all threatened by extinction "thanks to" the post-war industrialization and because their meat is fat.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pop these on the British Studio Pottery Mystery group on Facebook, they'll know.

Lucille.b, scoutshouse and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted