Featured 3 Miniature Chinese (Ceremonial/Jade?) Stone Axes

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, May 15, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

All 3 of these are almost hard enough to resist a steel point.

The green one shows a type of mottling I'm not familiar with in Jade, and the spots of clearer stone (ex: LH side, at the throat) are slightly proud, showing a resistance to abrasion/polishing. It is opaque save for the thinest part, at what would be the cutting edge.

The red one is beautifully translucent in this odd way: it resembles crystallized amber...or honey...that selectively allows more light to pass in a few areas than in others.

The yellow one is more a knife than an axe, and also shows some of the crystalline translucency of the red...without the contrast. In addition, there are those 3 extra holes along the guard...perhaps used to attach it to a garment?

I got these (along with several others, so far undiscovered among the mess here) about 20 years ago. I suspect they are not old...or very old, anyway. When (and if) I locate the others, they'll be shown on Antiquers Forum...but probably not in this thread, as it may be awhile y'know?

Have some of you seen anything resembling these? How about their materials, or shapes...What say you?

fullsizeoutput_91da.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91d9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91d5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91d4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91d1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91e6.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first one is inspired by the Neolithic Hongshan culture, which was discovered in 1935. As you thought, it is not old, and it is not a real replica either. It is just 'in the style of'.
    About 20 years ago the market was flooded with 'Hongshan jades'.
    Needless to say, very few genuine Hongshan jades were ever smuggled out of China. The ones in China are nearly all in museum collections.
    I love that one, and thought for a minute that it could be an oldie, but the hanging hole doesn't look worn. That could have been drilled later, of course. Archaic jades have been modified to make them more 'attractive'.
    If you think it could have age and want to find out more about it, I suggest you have it analyzed. Do you see any mica inclusions, like tiny mirrors?

Both the red one and the yellow one could be considered amulets or inspired by amulets. The yellow one is a bit like some Archaic Period ceremonial knives.

An interesting read:
    https://www.asianart.com/articles/hoffman/

Beautiful ancient jades:
    https://publications.asia.si.edu/jades/objects.php
    Keep scrolling down, the photos load slowly.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  3. wlwhittier

Thank You!
    I'll chase after your links. They are certain to illuminate my limited understanding...I'm very grateful.

I've got more odd stuff you're sure to find worthy of perusal.

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Looking forward.:)

5. wlwhittier

The green 'stone' cab is ~.425" X ~.300"; perhaps glass, but it has a slight surface texture, like a true pearl, against a tooth. Wing tip to tip is 3½ inches.

Without testing but given the overall quality, weight and appearance, I'm leaning heavily toward gold on silver.

The detail in the wings is exquisite. The capture for the pin dates it, but I'm not sure of the year when the patent rotating clasp was introduced.

There's not a maker's mark nor any other indicator of material or place of manufacture...but it's certainly not a one-off.

Many ladies have lusted after it...to no avail. I love it!

fullsizeoutput_9213.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9212.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9211.jpeg

Firemandk likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

It is lovely, nice detail on the wings too. Datewise my guess is 1930s.
    Does it feel cold?
    Is this a rotating clasp? It looks like a C-clasp to me. C-clasps are still used.
    I'm not sure, it looks like it could be costume. The mount of the cab looks costume to me. I don't have it in hand though.
    Costume jewellery is not my forte, so I hope the costume joolies will take a look too. I'll tag some who may have an idea: @Ownedbybear , @Lucille.b (I think it is American?), @KSW .

Apologies if I have left some people out.:sorry:

Figtree3 and Firemandk like this.
  7. wlwhittier

These are probably Venetian (Murano?). ~⅞ inches long, ~⅝-¾ inches wide, ~½ inch thick...this group of 10 is ~8 inches long. Obviously hand crafted, they vary slightly in size, and in number, spacing & the width of the spiral lines. They are hollow, and the holes aren't drilled, but flame-formed...so no sharp edges. Heart-shaped bubbles. There are roughly 50 of them. They ignore black light.

Even if they're contemporary, they aren't ordinary. I sure would like to know more about them, including their approximate age...and if, indeed, they are Murano Venetian. Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_8cc1.jpeg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I have already tagged some people for you.

The thing is, your Chinese jades were archaeological/ceremonial style items, not jewellery as such. These last two are jewellery, but some joolies may have lost interest.
    It is generally best to start a new thread if you post items that are different from the original post. That way you get more eyes on them.:)

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

The 'clasp' isn't rotating...just a strap hook. The cab is as cold as the wing against my lower lip. The mount, under a loupe, shows the 'teeth' around its rim to be polished, leaving nothing sharp to snag a garment.

How do I use your 'tags'...or am I to wait for their response? Thanks!

"It is generally best to start a new thread if you post items that are different from the original post. That way you get more eyes on them."

Right you are! Thanks...I'll remember that.

10. Any Jewelry

You just wait for them.:)
    If you ever want to tag someone yourself, just type @ and the person's forum name. It will automatically turn blue, that way you know the person will receive an alert.
    Like this: @Any Jewelry .

Draft saved Draft deleted