3 Oil on Board Paintings Signed Van Gores

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked these up at a thrift shop yesterday. I believe they are by the Laguna CA artist, Alida Van Gores. She was also an author and enjoyed deep sea fishing. There is a good article about her from the LA Times in 1988. (Could someone help post a link?) I thought I would post because the story of the artist seemed unique and interesting. I was also wondering if anyone has ever tried to remove the spotting from those fabric covered liners on the frames? Maybe some kind of fabric spot remover or paint over them with something? I'm working with thin margins these days and they are going to auction, so I don't want to replace them. Thanks in advance for any tips.
    IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those look like Mexican decorative paintings. And Van Gores signatures are all over the place. Here's one... Clearly a Laguna Beach souvenir. Would like to see an example that can be definitively attributed to her.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313830543019

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 6.23.53 AM.png

mirana likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Lithographer

I found this on a site called Offer Up
    E78D3A08-D699-414E-9C17-5EF7B2985E9D.jpeg
    3E98AADC-15BF-4D2E-A388-A82316CCA08A.jpeg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So we believe this to be a true work? I can't find a signature; can you?

Debora

6. Lithographer

Yeah, no signature that I can see. The bio was part of the listing and it mentions that the painting was from the Sawdust Festival. I agree that I would like to see one of the oils and the same sort of documentation.

7. Lithographer

There is a Worthpoint record with full bio and better example of a painting. @Kronos Could you help with this?

Debora likes this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Lithographer

11. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

12. Lithographer

I am going to try and update some of my threads with auction results so the information is available for users. The 3 paintings together sold for $187.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted