Featured 3 Older Baskets-Native American ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bosko69, Jun 22, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Well here we go again (and sincerest thanks w/ help on the last 2 Baskets). These next 3 Baskets I think (but do not know-much to learn as I'm discovering on this Forum) are Native American (not #4 ).
    Pics are grouped as -Basket 1,Basket 2, & Basket 3 (just the lid-would love to find a matching bottom). The last basket is (i think) a piece if 'airport art'.
    Thanks again wise friends-this Forum is a hoot ! bsktPOM1.jpg BSKTpOM2.jpg bsktPOM3.jpg BSKTtLIN1.jpg bsktTlin2.jpg bsktTlin3.jpg bsktRat1.jpg bsktRat2.jpg bsktCrp1.jpg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

# 1 is Hupa, from northwestern California,twined hazel and beargrass; # 2 is Yupik, from Hooper Bay, Alaska, bundle-coiled seagrass; #3 is a lid from a Tlingit basket, from Alaska, twined spruce root; #4 is a beaded souvenir basket, from Lombok, Indonesia.

Lucille.b, Any Jewelry, judy and 12 others like this.
  3. bosko69

Taupou-Your basketry knowledge is amazing and all inclusive.Thanks an incredible amount for your help.Have you studied baskets most of your life ?

Lucille.b, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Peachy Keen

Peachy Keen New Member

Taupou, amazing knowledge! I will
    be posting a basket or 2 soon.

Lucille.b, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

does number 3 make noise when shaken...?

Lucille.b, 2manybooks and kyratango like this.
  6. bosko69

Komo-It make noise when shaken,now i gotta find a bottom.

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. komokwa

then it's what's known as a rattle top basket lid..

[​IMG]

I would suggest that basket 1 is Yurok in origin.

Hupa, Yurok and Karok ( Karuk..) are made very similar and hard to distinguish one from the other .

Size will also differentiate a trade basket from a hat from a mush bowl.

Yer gonna show baskets...............please give sizes also..!;):hungry::hungry:

8. bosko69

I'll have to measure these guys and look for a rattle top basket base (Ebay i guess).

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  9. bosko69

Komo-Yr basket pic looks almost identical to mine,common motif for that tribe i suppose.

judy and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

[​IMG]

the designs stand for something....have meaning to the weavers and tribes.

Lucille.b, judy and Potteryplease like this.
  11. bosko69

Cool-Obviously these artists aren't referring to the cryptid 'Big Foot'. I'll look up the meaning-thanks !

12. bosko69

Man,those Tlingit rattle top baskets are beautiful-same dazzling design as the Navajo eye dazzler blankets,but the colors to me are much more organic & harmonious.
    I wonder if these were mainly for the tourist trade.

13. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Yes, Tlingit rattletops were made primarily for the tourist trade, which in this case, dates back to the 1890s. It was also about the time that aniline dyes first became available to the weavers, which allowed them to create even more outstanding baskets.

Being made for the "tourist trade" isn't a bad thing. It's actually made it possible for so many traditional crafts to be continued. Once the local stores started carrying the utilitarian items which made life easier, it was no longer strictly necessary for the handcrafted items to be made. However, the tourist market provided buyers, and a source of income for the indigenous craftspeople, and by simply slightly altering the forms they produced, the craft itself was maintained.

I'd add that Tlingit baskets are very fragile, and break/crack easily, which is one reason there aren't many around today. Especially in fine condition!

Lucille.b, judy and Potteryplease like this.
  14. bosko69

Taupou,Komo- even though I only have a lid-the design and execution are sublime ! I was frantically scurrying around for a gift for my wife's birthday- i found this 2-3 days before the big day,it was $70-$75-but i was beguiled by it's color and design-a tiny masterpiece.
    I've studied Art History most of my life and this is an extraordinary mandala- a perfectly tuned-in meditative portal...the kind of door that opens when you find nature silence and still the artificial noise.
    When I gave it to her she was stunned and teared up.
    She's part Sac & Fox and Cherokee-they were torn from their homes on the Great Lakes & Huron and her family ended up in Oklahoma.
    She is not too happy about selling any of our Amerindian NA stuff.
    Her main love is tools-grooved axes,mauls,celts,etc.My greatest lost was not being able to afford an ivory and stone Inuit 'finger pit scraper'-a finely sculpted tool (really a small modern sculpture-like a Henry Moore or Hepworth,much soul-you understand),but it was $300 ! F*#K-rent was $290,many yrs ago-i still see that damned beautiful thing.
    These profound beautiful things were created for us for survival purposes for millennia and were ignored as curiosities for decades-this is ART,now we know it.
    There is nothing primitive in anyway about these items.
    If Stonehenge or Chaco Canyon or Lascaux Cave moves you,this is why (IMO)-these are sculptures,images and architecture we (our total human collective-border less)worked on and refined for thousands of years.They speak,they sing deep-they are the human mind and soul.

15. komokwa

your ' lid ' , is as nice as they come !;)

16. bosko69

Thanks Komo- My lady sees it every morning.Man those 'rattlers' are beautiful,the right lottery ticket and I'll get a few more (now I want to go pickin' !). I got the lid at an antique collective,the ancestors were smiling.

Draft saved Draft deleted