31” X 15”. Filipino Dragon Mask ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Tim Pannabecker, Jun 1, 2021.

?

Would anybody know the value of this mask?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Offer amount

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Tim Pannabecker

Tim Pannabecker New Member

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there are.....many...many...many.....of these around....
    [​IMG]

make up your own price....and see where it goes !

4. Tim Pannabecker

Thank you for your reply

komokwa likes this.
  5. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry , first time I have ever seen one of these , and I have been through every airport tourist shop in the Philippines . Not saying this isn't a "Philippine dragon mask" , but if it is , is it a tourist carving adopted from Thailand or Indonesia , as I have never seen any mention of such in any of my Philippine's anthropology books from 1898 up to 1930's. Wondering what your take was on it .....

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

BAKUNAWA: The Moon Eating Dragon Of Philippine Mythology. Reading more on this from a link posted by @Any Jewelry in 2016 , I am not buying into this being anything but a currently carved tourist item or one from the last 30 years .First off, Ifugao or Bontoc or Kalinga are / were mountain head hunter tribes and have nothing to do with anything remotely Visayan be it
    Cebuano, Ilonggo, Baholono or further south in Mindanao. Seeing there are at least 134 unique ethnic groups ( My wife is Magahat / Ilonngo ) , I could be wrong, but I am thinking not. Sad MAGAHAT sounds like a Trump thing... I think they should file a lawsuit....lol.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't have a take on these tourist items, other than that I don't like them. But that is my personal taste, I am sure other people like them, otherwise they wouldn't buy them.;)
    I think that is the general consensus here, although Filipina Maria Aud got a bit upset about that in the 2016 thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/where-does-this-wood-mask-come-from.7673/page-2

We never see them here in the Netherlands btw, even though we have a lot of Dutch-Filipino marriages. Could they have been sold around US military bases?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-6-3_13-52-37.jpeg

demon mask
    devil mask
    dragon mask
    ifuago mask
    Philippine mask

all search terms that get you to the 100's of thousands of these floating around...........:yawn:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, there are countless on the www. Let's hope they stay there.
    I respect tradition, but this has as much to do with tradition as fake Hawaiian 'Tikis' imo.

This is Filipino tradition:

[​IMG]

all_fakes and komokwa like this.
  10. Tim Pannabecker

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted