Featured 36 x 30" Carew Rice wood cut silhouette, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dcjunker, Jul 5, 2015.

1. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Hi from the long-lost DC Junker. DH stopped going to yard sales so I've been too quiet. Missing you all!

Here is a possible treasure from my cousins (the famous "Admiral's estate"). They believe it is a Carew Rice although unsigned (they have two Carew Rice lampshades as well which are on their way from their mother's as we speak).

Questions: I don't see other examples of woodwork, only paper silhouettes. Does this seem good to you? And (hoping Birgitta is here), would you guess value as being Brunk's worthy? Or another house? Or just Ebay? Thanks very much.

Judy carew rice 001.JPG carew rice 004.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good to see you, DCjunker! I don't have any thoughts on this, just saying "hi."

3. Bachelor Hill

Bachelor Hill New Member

I have seen 2 others around the same size they were designed by Carew Rice for a local Walterboro SC restaurant the name escapes me right now but it was on the Dixie Hwy just south of downtown
    The other 2 are or were a few years ago in the possession of the prior owners of the restaurant there are many examples of his work reproduced during his lifetime and with his blessing that you could argue both ways are they originals or not. I have seen the best market for these things to be closer to the low country but Brunks could work or Charlton Hall or Wooten & Wooten in Camden SC if it was in my Walterboro shop I would expect it to sell easily in the $850-1250.00 range depending on condition
    Good luck. It's very cool I would love to know where it goes to crack a shot at it.

4. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Hi Bachelor Hill (and HI FIG! I hope you are well!):

I understand Birgitta put us in touch. Thank you so much! I will send your post to my cousins. Their basic attitude is that they want to see things go to people who will understand and treasure them. Perhaps you'd be in a great position to mediate that.

When the lampshades arrive in a few days I'll post photos.

Judy

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  5. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1025.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Sorry about the duplicates! I'm having technical challenges, LOL.
    These are silk, I'm not sure what the silhouettes are made of. Any idea of value? What else do you need to know?

7. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Five more images coming, and these dimensions: Each shade has 8 panels. Silk covers outer and inner layer. Photos should give notion of frayed edges etc. each panel is about 4 inches top and 7 1/2 at bottom and 10 inches high.

8. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

9. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

10. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

sorry about the technical difficulties

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I was not familiar with this work. Thanks for posting. I particularly like the lamp shades. How wonderful!

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice! Sorry I can't help with any information, though.

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I love the lampshades, especially the first one with the child holding a vine. Really lovely!

14. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Thanks, guys. Nice to see folks here. I guess the main question is estimated value. If the group went to an auction house like Brunk's, what might they expect to realize? That will help the family decide whether to sell (although the cousin that owns the wood cut just wants it to go to someone who will appreciate it). binky 002.JPG

In case Greggsglass checks in, here's Binky a minute ago. See the bullseye?

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the update on Binky. Ricky's white hind legs have real short hairs not long like the rest of him. It really looks like he is wearing white Go Go boots.:rolleyes:
    greg

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Hi Judy!
    I have to ask - why did DH stop going to yard sales?

17. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Hi Book...he started going to a fellowship meeting on weekend mornings, so that conflicted with the early sales, and I guess he just broke the addiction, LOL. He says things aren't as good as they used to be anyhow. Not sure if that's true. I'm using my Ebay skills to help friends and family, when needed.

18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Oh .... thanks for answering. I'm just a nosy/curious/caring person. :shame:

Draft saved Draft deleted