Featured 3x Balinese Keris? Info needed.

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Shane Quill, Aug 1, 2019.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

splendid !!!
    what r u makin..?:)

2. Shane Quill

Shane Quill Member

As im waiting on a shed/forge to be built im recycling or modifying other blades or making file knives by metal reduction. At the moment its just recycling a 70s rubber handle divers knife made in Japan. Took the handle off and making a shirasaya type home for it with sperm whale tooth ivory spacer and end caps eventually. Also modifying an old stainless serrated blade into more of a kiritsuke style slicer. Nothing real flash but im getting there slowly and selling a few here and there.

3. Shane Quill

Shane Quill Member

Here's some pics. I also have an instagram komokwa where I post all my tinkering about if you are interested. :)
    I have a long way to go but the journey is half the fun.

Attached Files:

4. Shane Quill

Shane Quill Member

@Any Jewelry I find your knowledge on the subject amazing and indeed now I know more about them, will be reading, listening and learning more on the art of the keris. I can't thank you enough for your generosity in sharing such a depth of knowledge.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos. It is exquisitely carved.
    I agree with Holly, it looks like deer antler. Moose is a Balinese translation thing, they mean to differentiate between different kinds of deer.
    On the link she posted only the top two are keris hilts, the other handles are for betel nut crushers.

The keris is really nicely made. The Naga is brass, most are.
    The Naga is a Nagaraja, king of the Nagas. A Nagaraja has a triple crown. He rests his head on a triangle called a tumpal. The tumpal is the symbol of a throne, royalty and divinity.
    Nagaraja is said to refer to Antaboga, the primordial Naga of Hindu myth, involved with the creation of the earth.
    Traditional (filled) Nagaraja keris are considered the kings of a collection.
    Nagas in general are the guardians of the riches of the earth. That means gemstones, metals, but also the minerals that feed plants and sustain life.

At the centre of the base is a tiny deer. A bit blobby, but once you know what it is meant to be, you recognize it. It is symbol of spirituality and of alertness, quick thinking and reactions.

6. Any Jewelry

It is a pleasure, Shane. As you can tell, it is a subject that is dear to my heart.:)
    I am writing a book on the historical, cultural, and spiritual backgrounds of Javanese and Madurese keris. A long term project.;)

Balinese keris are not necessarily my field, but because of the close relation with certain Javanese and Sundanese (West Java) keris types, I do have some insight in them. And a bit of knowledge of Balinese culture and Hindu mythology helps.

I know the feeling.
    I would love to see more of your work.

7. Any Jewelry

Forgot to add. You can always use the 'dress' of the souvenir keris lookalike for a lone keris which you may come across on your search for more. Some sellers sell a blade along with a complete keris.
    The opening of the sheath is very narrow, so it can easily be adjusted to fit a real keris snugly.

komokwa, kyratango and i need help like this.
  8. Shane Quill

Shane Quill Member

I have already gifted it onto a friend, telling him the story behind it as well. He was more than happy with it and left with a smile so it turned out a win anyway.
    Now I also have to look for a knowledgeable source on two other items, well one mainly...auction house had it labeled as a pick,...but I knew right away it was a native American pipe tomahawk. Bundled with a painted George IV police truncheon as a bonus. Pretty sure the tomahawk isn't fake but being new to them you never know.

I actually have Ganesha ,destroyer of obstacles ,tattooed on myself.
    I've put most of my hobby on instagram if interested. https://www.instagram.com/elhombre73/

Thanks again and would love to get a read /copy of your book once released.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Many people have been making pipe hawks for years,show us a photo,here is something you might like........... https://www.antiquers.com/threads/brass-handled-cartouche-knife.40400/

Shane Quill and kyratango like this.
  10. Shane Quill

Shane Quill Member

Here you go @Hollyblue .
    Thats some very nice work on that knife.

tomahawk.jpg

Any Jewelry, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

verrrrry pretty......
    tiger maple....pewter inlay...a presentation piece.......?

I'd have to have it in my hand to see the casting of the hawk, the clean out...and the inlay...but suffice it to say....from one photo.....it's a charmer !!!!:happy::happy:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I am writing it in Dutch, but am considering adding an English synopsis to every chapter. Or, more ambitiously, translating it into English.
    But I'll have to finish it first.;)

Love the tomahawk, very stylish.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    komokwa and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted