4 Face Buddha Noise maker? Mark Help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by cxgirl, Aug 4, 2017.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've seen a couple of these before but they were solid pieces. This one is heavy but it has stuff inside, sand or whatever. Sounds like a lot of stuff when you shake it rather than a few bits of sand. Were these made to shake and make noise? I don't think the mark is Chinese, maybe from Tibet? I know this isn't old or valuable, just wondering about it.
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSC02258.jpg DSC02259.jpg DSC02294.jpg DSC02295.jpg

toomanytocount and quirkygirl like this.
  2. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Looks Japanese to me, perhaps a paper weight? For their calligraphy hobbies. The mark is not a Chinese reign mark, so more likely a Japanese bronze maker's mark. What is the size? :)

cxgirl likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you toomany! sorry, I should have included the size -this is 3 1/2"H x 3" diameter.
    Could be Japanese, I'll see what I can find

4. toomanytocount

Could also be simply decorative, Japanese liked small decorative objects (okimono) and they had a thing for strong facial expressions, part of their culture of showing how you feel rather than saying anything. Not a bronze expert, so that is pretty much all the opinions I can convey about it.

tie.dye.cat and cxgirl like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks again toomany!
    It is one of those pieces that you want to pick up and when you realize there is something inside you naturally shake it:)

toomanytocount likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I ALMOST bought one like this,but it was priced high so I declined. When I got home I looked them up,and they are all over ebay dirt cheap.

toomanytocount, aaroncab and cxgirl like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Johnny! was it solid or did it have stuff inside?

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

All the ones I am finding are saying Chinese Buddha paperweight

https://www.google.com/search?q=hap...14MKHR3RBkEQ_AUICigB&biw=1343&bih=876#imgrc=_

http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/279976/20th-century-chinese-bronze-buddha-paperweight-circa-1940-s/

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1268760-Vc234/Four-Faces-Buddha-Chinese-Paperweight

There is even one listed on amazon for $122. Didn't want to link to it.

As to the noise inside.
    My guess is that whatever they used to weight it down has deteriorated and broken.
    Any dents? Might have been dropped.

toomanytocount and cxgirl like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks cluttered!
    Yes, maybe they used some sort of filler rather than solid brass/bronze. No dents, you don't want to drop it on your foot, lol, it would hurt:)

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes they are, these heads are a fairly recent thing from China. The Chinese production lines come up with new things every month or so, to satisfy the Western fashion for oriental art. These heads started to turn up everywhere something like 5 yrs ago, if I remember correctly.
    They are called Buddha heads, but it seems to me a very non-Buddhist way of representing the Buddha.

cxgirl, toomanytocount and judy like this.
  11. toomanytocount

Good to know, still think Japanese inspired, and not Buddha either....lol

cxgirl likes this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The stuff inside is what remains of the hollow ceramic casting or electrodeposition core, depending on how made. Casting is most likely. The core limits the volume of metal that can flow into the mold, since the maker doesn't want to cast a solid metal piece as it would be too heavy and expensive.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies folks:)
    yes, you don't think of Buddha being angry.
    Thanks for the explanation Spring!

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It was hollow,but heavy. I dont remember it making any noise. I liked it,I still do,but it goes against my very nature to pay more than a few shekels for anything! :)

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, I'm the same way - the cheaper the better

johnnycb09 likes this.